Finally released: Tech21 iBand with d3o for the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cheapa55, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I was waiting for this case since July and after several delays, it was finally released. I was able to purchase one at Best Buy for $24.95 + tax. They also had the white one available.

In the box, it looked decent. However, once I opened it and installed it, I was very disappointed. As you can see from the close up picture of the sides, there is a gap between the case and the phone. It is actually loose. It doesn't fit very well. There is distortion in the case in several spots.

I compared it with the Apple bumper (pictured) and I was expecting it to be larger, but holding the phone makes it feel very large, almost uncomfortable. I didn't like the look either after it was installed.

The good thing is that it seems to work well with screen protectors. I have an antiglare film and it did not lift at all.

The case is fairly thick that it makes it very difficult to access the vibrate switch. I was able to because I have fairly average to small hands. I can't imagine anyone with "large" hands to be able to mute the phone.

The volume and power buttons are also very hard. You have to put some effort in order to change volumes and turn it off.

Overall, I am very disappointed and I'm returning it to BestBuy even before I try it for a full day.

The search continues.....

Attached Files:

2. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Some more pictures.

Attached Files:

3. s54flexin macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up. I was holding out for this also, i guess its on to the next one...

4. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

That's disappointing. Have you bounced it off the wall to see if it works? :p

5. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Wow how disappointing I see what you mean about distortions, the general build quality looks terrible particularly around the vibrate and volume buttons and the sides appear to really bow outward.

6. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha, no way. It might fly off the case before it hits the wall. :)

to be fair, if you notice, it looks like there is two layers. one is the d3o layer, the other is the elastic layer (i didn't take a pic of it separated), so the elastic can easily cause those distortions. But either way, it still doesn't fit well.

no problem, let me know if you find something bc I've been looking since the phone was released and I keep going back to my Apple bumper.

7. wrongwy macrumors newbie

iband 4.0

I'm going to check my Best Buy (headquartered here in MN) for the iBand 4.0. Tech 21 marketing emailed me in July that it would be out July 30. I've been using my iBand 3.0 which is an awkward and tight fit and lifts off the screen protector, BUT, has done the job. My phone has dropped a few times without damage. The iBand is supposed to fit loose and is stiff. Company tech support told me I could soften it a bit by nearly boiling the plastic. However, as noted, if you want to access controls on the side of the phone, you need to slip the band off a bit. In the end, it's about saving the phone from damage and I give it an A for that. I've also never had the phone slip out of my pocket with the band on.

8. Kevio macrumors regular

Ew....Eww. I am glad I didn't do anything drastic, like pre-order it.

9. CZK, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

10. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Damn, i was looking forward to this too but after reading this review it's really turned me off. Also, what the hell happened to their fb and twitter? They used to update like every other day and then nothing.

As much criticism the bumper gets, i do think it's a good idea for a case. Not very intrusive and large, keeps the look of the phone. I wish tech21 would make a case with d30 that was about the same thickness as the bumper but with very slightly larger lips on the front and back to protect the screen.

The huge chunky case is very protective i'm sure but when am i gonna "accidentaly" launch my phone up against a wall and then be glad the case was thick enough to save it.

I slightly thicker bumper with d30 that could protect my phone if it falls out of my pocket or off my desk would be ideal.

11. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

When I was in best buy there were 2 versions.... It was less baulky then this one.... Almost look like a regular bumper....Has anyone else seen it?

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How's the front and back in regards of protection to if you drop it?

Marc

14. trozau macrumors regular

trozau

I wonder if the Tech 21 iMesh for iPhone 4 has a better fit. :confused:

15. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think they only have 1 version out at this time. are you sure they were both for iPhone 4? the 3GS version looks slimmer.

16. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the lip/edge is not that thick to protect the front and back. The Impact Band is much thicker. But the sides of the iBand seems like it would protect it well against drops of the sides.

17. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

18. wrongwy macrumors newbie

Which markets does Best Buy have the iBand?

I live in Best Buy's hometown and haven't found it in the stores. What markets did you find the iBand for 4.0 in?

19. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine was in Fresno, CA. Yeah, really. I had him search all BBs in SF area, all had 0 and 0 coming. I have no clue why Fresno had them.

20. mpossoff macrumors 68020

21. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

How do you get to muste switch on that thing? It looks way too recessed.

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I need to find a BB in Chicago with this particular case.

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Does anyone have a product # for this particular case so I can call Best Buy to have them look it up? Thanks in advance.

24. cheapa55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BB sku is 1260834, Model is 35450BBR (this is for the black, the white obviously has a different sku and model #)

25. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Thank you. Those #s are greatly appreciated.