Finally replacing my mid 2007 iMac but...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Barmax, May 10, 2011.

  1. Barmax macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 10, 2011
    #1
    With Lion out this summer should I just wait? I'm not in a rush but do need an upgrade. Been playing WoW too long in low detail and getting close to running out of disk space (500GB drive). I shoot RAW and have been managing by going back and deleting all the blurry pics. I'm already hooked on Thunderbolt and that Promise external RAID is going to be mine :D.

    With that said. What do I do with my trusty 2007 iMac, sell it, or crack it open and upgrade whatever I can on it?

    Is anyone else just waiting for Lion to make the jump?
     
  2. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2011
    #2
    There are plenty of posts regarding waiting for Lion in the forum. You could contribute to the conversation that was started long ago.

    As for what to do with your current iMac, that is ultimately up for you to decide.
     
  3. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #3
    I have a mid 2007 Aluminum iMac as well - 24" 2.8 GHz Extreme, 2GB 750 HDD. I too am upgrading this summer, and would have last week, but I am waiting for Lion. I am not in a real hurry, don't want to pay for the OS in 6 weeks or when it comes out, and probably need to clean up my files in the meantime. Things are a bit of a mess, no reason to migrate as such.

    I also have a family member interested in my machine, but after more thought I may advise them to go with the new 21.5 instead for the FaceTime HD cam, warranty, etc. for not much price difference, and just sell mine on Craigslist or eBay.
     
  4. scoobydiesel macrumors member

    scoobydiesel

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #4
    I was hoping to update last week but I was short on some cash last minute, So now im basically pushing it off a few weeks. I think I might do it around the rumored iPod give away happens.

    Either way I do hope i some how fall into the time frame in which they will give me Lion for free or maybe discounted price of some sort :D I can always hope :p
     
  5. Barmax thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 10, 2011
    #5
    Oh ya! I think the iPod give away was before school starts in Sept.

    I wonder if it can be combined with the education discount. Wifey just went back to college that is listed on apple's site.

    I was thinking about going the craigslist route too. What were you thinking of asking?
     
  6. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #6
    You're already spending $$$$ so whats another $30-$129? Also i wouldn't even dream of touching Lion until it has had two updates i.e. 10.7.2 at least. I'm running the beta and the thing is still very buggy.
     
  7. danny_w macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #7
    VERY good advice! NEVER buy a computer with a brand new os installed, as you can never go back if there are problems. If it were me I might wait for Lion to come out but would definitely buy the machine before it comes pre-installed.

    Oh, and I also have the same 2007 aluminum 24" iMac, both at home (mine) and at work (theirs).
     
  8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #8
    This is what I tend to do if I can.. Get the machine in the 14 day run up to Lions release, so you get 10.6 on the installer, and 10.7 for the nominal $10 fee.
     
  9. Barmax thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 10, 2011
    #9
    Hey. I don't mind spending well, but spend wise too.

    If I can save 100 and get an iPod to boot then it makes the purchase sweeter. And I'm not in an immediate rush. I can definitely wait a few months.

    I plan on waiting for some reviews on production Thunderbolt RAIDs too. Can't wait to consolidate a few USB drives full of movies and music.
     

Share This Page