Finally setting up & syncing ipad2 - oh boy

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jroug, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jroug macrumors member

I bought an ipad2 well over a year ago and it has sat in the box until today - yeah, I know.

Today I tried to sync it with iTunes to get all my settings & apps from my ipad1. Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the software on the ipad2 (I think) was too old, so I got this message:

"the backup 'iPad' cannot be restored to this iPad because the software on the iPad is too old.

To restore this iPad from this backup, you must first set up the iPad as new and restore the software to the latest version"

So I did that, but now how do I sync the ipad2 with the contents of the Ipad1?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just try and restore the backup from your iPad 1 again like you originally tried. It should work this time since you've updated your iPad 2 to the most recent iOS version.

3. jroug thread starter macrumors member

Just so I understand: I reconnect ipad2 (which automatically syncs essentially nothing at this point) and then hit "restore" from the summary page? I thought that would only restore factory settings, ie; delete any updates done since the ipad2 was unboxed (including IOS)?

When I'm in iTunes with iPad2 connected, I don't see any info on ipad1 backup. So what specifically do I need to do to access the backup of ipad1? Or will restore maintain IOS and delete everything else?

4. Night Spring, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, you right click on the iPad icon in the left side panel in iTunes. That brings up a pop-up menu and one of the items in the menu is "restore from backup." pick that, and it should show you your iPad 1 backup.

And hitting "restore" from the main menu doesn't put the software back to the older version -- it grabs the latest software from the Internet and installs that on the iPad, while deleting any data and settings that may be on the iPad. If you do that, I believe that at the end of the software restore, you should get a choice between "set up as new" and "restore from backup." But since you just updated to the latest software, there's no need to do that again.

5. jroug thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help & apologies for uber-detailed questions - I"m a cut twice, measure once type - wanted to be 100% sure I did it right.

Next time I buy an iPad, I'll open it sooner.

(hangs head, runs away)