Finally some competition/copy for the MBP : Razer Blade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yly3, Aug 27, 2011.

1. yly3 macrumors 6502

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Dude ...

You're just a customer, you had no say in the design of the MBP ... Why do you care?

People recognize good designs all the time and then try to improve on them ... It's how we move forward.

I'm not seeing the big deal here. Just another great computer inspired by Apple.

3. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not take this on any serious matter, it's just that I have found the video to be funny AND provide some info about the countless MBP ODD-less threads.

So, it may be a silly thread but also an informative one about the specs and at what price those are delivered. Let's see how people will react on a performance laptop without a superdrive.

4. badsector macrumors newbie

it looks so different to me.
    certainly look well designed for gamers.

5. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Not really. Touchpad on the right has a target audience of... left handed gamers. Wait what? Yeah, they didn't think that through.

Gimped 555m (96 cores, 4 rops) is no better than the 6750m in our very own MBPs. Dual core, albeit the fastest one in existence, is still a notch below quads. The ODD was likely sacrificed for better cooling, which... Apple take note please . In any case, bluray drive would've been impossible anyway, given it's even thinner than MBPs.

This is a swing and a miss by every standard. Keep it under an inch thick, 0.98 is perfectly acceptable, but fit it with a REAL GPU, at least in the orders of the the GTX 560m.

Funny how he mentions portable, yet still with a 17" chassis, is pretty retarded. Give me the same specs in a 15" package and you'll have a better audience. Furthermore, there's the gaping price tag of $2800. Apple can charge a premium for being a world-renown household name, but Razer? I mean, within the market of gaming peripherals, they're relevant, but everywhere else? They're kind of nobodies.

Same specs in a 15" package for around $1800 and they'd have an audience. Same specs in a 13" package for ~$2000, they'd have an audience. Specs improved to 560m and quad core in a 17" package for ~$2200 and they'd have an audience. Anything else? Not really.

The MBP is actually a larger, more powerful, more cost efficient Razer. Yeah, the Razer Blade is the MBP's MBP.

This isn't saving PC gaming (not that it needs saving any way).

6. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. derickdub macrumors 6502

I don't like it.

To me the whole color LED gaming thing is just cliché and tacky. At least they kept it down to a somewhat tasteful level, but still not my thing.

I've yet to see any company come remotely close to the elegance and attention to detail Apple puts into their products.

8. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure it's a 2.8GHz dual core i7 (second generation).

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

10. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

this laptop looks pretty good, but as someone previously mentioned horrible for leftys

11. Saidear macrumors newbie

Left handed gamers? o_O
    The trackpad is on the right, which is where I keep my mouse and everyone else I know keeps their mouse. That's more in line with -right- handed gamers. And given that it hasn't launched yet, we don't know if there is a left-handed option with the trackpad on the other side. Shouldn't be that hard to manage.

Up until recently dual-cores were better for gaming than quad or hexa cores. Cycles trumped threads. This trend is shifting, and the next generation of games will be more multi-core friendly. In the battle of balancing performance over portability I can't fault them for dual-core with hyperthreading. And I think they trashed the drive for height and power more than cooling.

That would defeat their intent entirely. If you wanted to build the current generation of "desktop replacements" aka the current view on gaming laptops.. then yea, that makes sense. If you want to build a laptop designed to be asthetically pleasing, with a respectable battery life, without weighing a ton.. then going with an high-end midrange card is just fine.

Alienware: m17x - $1800 for comparable specs but no battery life and 30% more weight.
    Asus G73S - $1500 for comparable specs but again, bigger and poorer battery.
    Macbook Pro (stock with everything except ram upgrade) - $2699

Pricey? Not too much I'd say. Given the innovation of the touchpad/display (similar tech was seen in a $1600 keyboard) and Razer's lack of a supply chain (unlike proven vendors like Apple, Dell and Asus).. the price is actually reasonable for what you're getting.

Not really!
    17" macbook with 8GB DDR RAM? $2,699.00. You're paying $100 for a smaller dual core pro in a black finish with an LCD touchpad. That isn't too bad of a price for a cool feature.

Agreed. PC just needs less pandering and more innovation. Something Razer is trying to do that the other gaming companies aren't. The old philosophy of as much power crammed into a "smaller" frame is a model Razer is trying to push away from.

12. 2hvy4grvty, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Are you suggesting that gamers take their hand off the mouse? Yeah... no.

Dual core is fine; that wasn't my main gripe. If it means sacrificing CPU [and its thermal output] for a more powerful GPU, that's worth it. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

0.98 inches is the same as a MBP, which is probably still twice as thin as the thinnest gaming laptop. They set out for thin, last I checked, MBPs were pretty damn thin.

It's not even possible to spec a similar M17x. Nor is it possible to spec a similar G73. Heck, it's not even possible to spec a similar MBP. It's that underpowered.

Of course it's pricey. Point me to one community who's backing up the price for hardware like this? Not even Razer's own forums my good man.

I like your inclusion of RAM upgrade and disregard for the HDD difference. Student discount etc.