Finally switched, got new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kinkade, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Kinkade macrumors member

So I finally did it. I placed my order today for the 2.8 core 2 extreme iMac. After 3 iPods and an iPhone I decided enough was enough with PCs(I actually decided that months ago, but decided to wait for new models), and I am getting my very first Mac.

I am somewhat versed in OS X, But I haven't had to much time to really get into all the features, but I am sure I will adapt fast. I have a few questions though.

1. I want to install Windows for a few games, but which is better: XP or Vista? I used Vista for ten minutes and got disgusted, but is it all that bad or should I stick with XP?

2. I have a semi-extensive video library that I want to convert for my iPhone and :apple:tv when I get one. Whats a good program for this?

3. I saw the keynote and videos for the new iWork on apples website, but I still wounder if it is finally an acceptable replacement to Office. For those that have used it; how is the word processing mode in Pages, and is Numbers a good replacement for excel?

Thanks for your help. I have been reading these forums for a while and have got a lot of useful information.

One thing I have to say though is that I don't think waiting for the next revision is worth it. I was playing with the old white iMacs in my local Apple store the other day and I was thinking that the older specs would have been worth it to have been using the better operating system for these past six months.

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

1) XP is MUCH better.

2) No clue, I have a feeling iTunes *might* be able to help with this though, but I'm clueless.

3) Numbers is a big disappointment for most people, pages is a suitable replacement for word if you're not a heavy power-user, keynote is the real winner in the group however.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unless you want Vista-only games...

I love Pages, and use it with NeoOffice(a great free Office suite) for my school work :)

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

http://www.apple.com/iwork/trial/

Try it out for yourself and see.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

1) XP... its more stable... oh god, did I just say that?

2) I use iSquint for converting video files... http://www.isquint.org/

3) Just stick with Office if thats what you're used to and give iWork a whirl and see what you think for yourself

or use Neo Office

6. blueicedj macrumors 6502

If your putting Windows on for games, go with XP. It runs a lot faster on any machine because Vista demands a lot of power and uses up more resources. Really all Vista offers is a prettier interface. Besides, you'd have to make sure the games were compatible with Vista.