Finally switched!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dybbuk, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

After lurking here for years, two of which I didn't even have a computer, I finally got to make the switch! I am typing this from my new 2.16 Macbook. :)

I am experiencing growing pains and having a hard time getting the hang of the OS, but I hope it will come with time.

2. Mxsix macrumors member

Mxsix

Just explore OS X and get familiar with day to day tasks. Don't be afraid to ask questions now. ;)

Congrats on the new purchase!

3. 66217 Guest

Congrats!:)

Don't worry, it takes time to get used to OS X. I needed about 1 month to get used to it. And 2 months to become a mac-fan-to-death:p

I remember saying to myself back when I had just bought my Mac: "Roco, you have just made a BIG mistake buying this computer, you have just wasted $1500". But now things are different, it's like a never ending honeymoon.

4. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Congrats. And welcome to the club of happy switchers. Pics?

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

6. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't own digital camera. It was hard enough to get the money for this. Maybe sometime soon!

I wanted to get Wireless MM, but they were out of stock. Evidently it eats batteries like crazy and I should get the corded one instead?

7. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

8. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Wow! Congraddddulationsss! :D You will love this hardware to death, as it will last you for a very long time. OS X is sooo easy to use if you ASK QUESTIONS about things you don't understand. Remember to search, but if something is really eating at you and you don't find a satisfactory search answer, ask us. ;) When I switched, MR was so awesome in helping me, I learned the OS in maybe 10 days. :)

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Check out the Guides for help:)

10. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Superdrive is making terrifyingly loud mechanical noises when I put a CD in. Is this normal?

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yes they do .. don't worry ..:)

Congrats on switching .. :)

12. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Just want to suggest the book Switching to the Mac by David Pogue. Love this book!!

13. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

my mouse batteries last a few months at least...get the wireless:)

14. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a good list of software that beginning Mac users should get?

15. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

congrats you will love mac os but it takes a little time to figure it out. When I first got my mac I was not sure I liked it at first but I gave it a week and read a good help book. After that I was HOOKED and will never go back to windows. These forums are a great learning tool. enjoy.:D;)

16. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you travel frequently with your macbook, and want good battery life, go with a standard USB mouse. Bluetooth is a real battery killer, and although it frees up a port and avoids the mess of wires, it isn't worth it if you're constantly going somewhere with your macbook. If you're sitting at a desk for most of your computing, the BT mouse makes a bit more sense. Nonetheless, I still find BT mice to be a waste for me because the cord on my mouse doesn't bother me. It really is a toss-up. Since you said that you're a little low on funds, maybe you shouldn't get a BT mouse at this time, and get one in a little while. You can get a really good USB mouse for about $10 at places like FRYS, while a similar BT mouse will cost you at least $30, plus batteries. Just my two cents.

18. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dear DIGITAL,

Thank you for your post. Also, I refuse to acknowledge numbers as letters. I hope you do not take offense. ;)

Dear Calboy,

I am low on funds but I am working and living at home so I have little expenses, so funds replenish quickly. I will be giving serious thought to BT Vs. Corded. Also, I don't take the Macbook with me that much; I bought it simply because I wanted the option to do so.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

No problem Deuz :p I take no offense at all. Good luck and I'm sure you will love your new Macbook!

20. Dybbuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Already, I am starting to get that, "Oh, so this is why it works better ... I get it now!" sort of revelation. It's really awesome. :)

Also, the Mac community might be the most absurdly kind one ever.

21. verity macrumors member

22. elcid macrumors 6502

I add quicksilver. Too lazy for a link but its the best launcher ever.