Finally switching to MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by getatkyill, Aug 4, 2009.

1. getatkyill macrumors regular

So I am purchasing my first MacBook Pro next week and just would like some honest advice and/or recommendations. I have read the buyer guides at the top of the page but feel like I still need bit more information.

I'm going with the mid-range 15 inch MacBook Pro with 2.66 GHz, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM & Nvidia Geforce with the 256MB.

Basically what I'll be doing with the MacBook will be doing a little bit of gaming such as source games (Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat)..probably some graphic related games such as WoW just to give you an idea on what I'll be playing. Also, far as normal everyday things..I'll be using it to watch movies, probably buy the HDMI cables to hook up to my TV and forgot to mention but for the gaming I'll be dual-booting with Windows if that helps.

I'll be using my education discount and since I live near NH, tax free so it will be $1850. Still pretty expensive but for what I'm using this MacBook for..should I be okay with the mid-range 15 inch or bump it up to the high-end version of the 15" or would I be better off with a different MacBook Pro?

-Thank you in advance

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Your needs are exactly the same as mine, I play some CS:Source, and WoW, hence why I bought the mid-range one so I at least had a graphics card.

So far it's been running great for me, very fast, all the games have been running with extremely smooth framerates, regardless of it only being a 256MB Mobile card. I'm extremely pleased with it.

Hope this helps. :)

4. getatkyill thread starter macrumors regular

Yes that is definitely helpful and thank you for the link! I feel a lot more closure and confident with the purchase now. Also, what software do you use to dual boot?

I heard vmFusion was good.

5. monoxera macrumors member

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You have to boot into Windows to play Windows games.