Finally took plunge (literally) with my S4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GC251114, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Ambulater macrumors member

Well in my case, Apple is honoring the warranty after the watch died during its very first lap swim session.

In regards to swim mode, starting a swim workout disable the touch screen so that you don’t get false touches from the water. Then when you wake the watch with the crown it expels water from the speaker vents to prevent any long-term problems. However, neither of these things directly impact the short-term water resistance of the device. In other words, it’s not like you have to put the watch in a certain mode for it to be water resistant.

In my case, I did have a swim workout session started before going in the water, for what it’s worth.

2. wvayens macrumors member

You're right that the water lock doesn't provide any water protection, although it will expel some water from the speaker when you turn the crown.

I think the previous poster captured the situation perfectly...there may be isolated instances where water does get inside, but Apple has always seemed to honor their "water resistant" if you're just swimming. I always get Apple Care on my watches, but I think it was the Watch 2 that i had that I suddenly could get the microphone to respond....it was determined that it was probably due to water and even though it was out of Apple Care by then, they still replaced it!

3. ujjbd16 macrumors newbie

Did several scuba dives with my S3 as deep as 20 meters no problem with the watch.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Having had a number of series 3 and 4 watches, including S3 edition, I have swam with all of them.
    However, never in salt water or in a jacuzzi.

One thing I don’t recommend is waterskiing with anything but the sports loop.

I have re-sold a 7 watches to people that didn’t think that through. Yes all were men.
    2 rebought watches whiles their wives were shopping in another store. Those transactions were; I am in a hurry, I want this watch, Apple care. No questions other than can you throw this box away.

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

How would the chlorine affect he oliophonic coating, if at all?

Also what about wearing the watch whilst in a water slide?

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Others have had chlorine affect the Oleophobic coating, it’s rare, but _if_ it does have a reaction, what you will see is a blotchiness on the display, where the coating starts to separate away from the display. That’s why Apple recommends that you rinse the watch off with freshwater when using it in the ocean or pool.