Finally trying out 1Password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mivara, Sep 7, 2015.

1. mivara macrumors regular

mivara

Or actually: I made the investment.

I had been extremely hesitant about spending the money but in a weak moment I made the purchase. So at the moment, I am trying to figure out the different features, and thus I have a rookie question:

What is the difference between logins and passwords?
    Right now, I mainly use passwords since, well, that seems like the logic thing to do. The thing is, though, that there is no area for username. Well, I could write it into the notes field (and so I have) but that seems off. I could write it in the headline field as well but I use that for the site (Evernote, Dropbox etc.).

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

I got 1Password a couple of years ago, and swear by it. I think it's a little spendy for what it is, and I know that keeps it from being way more popular than it is, but once I started using it, there's no going back.

Great question about Logins vs Passwords. I didn't know the answer myself - I've just always used logins and ignored the passwords category. So I was curious enough to google it, and here's a link on the official AgileBit forum site that explains it, but just to summarize, stick with logins. The passwords category is mostly redundant and can be ignored, unless you want to keep a separate password for something that isn't necessarily related to a login.

I used the "remove redundant" password feature as described in the link, and it removed all the redundant passwords, just leaving me with a handful to manually check why they're different from my logins.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Passwords are generated passwords that are not associated with a url/login. Most of your passwords should be in a login. See this article for more information.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If I remember correctly, passwords are adhoc created when you, use one of the browser plugins to generate a password for you. Usually, when you submit that form, 1Password will ask to save your new login/generated password into a new Login item type. If this doesn't happen automatically, that generated password is basically an orphan. You'll probably want to immediately go and manually create a manual Login item with your new login details with the orphaned password.

5. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys! I am going to use logins primarily instead. Have a great keynote day!

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

There are a lot of other categories that are very useful. I have everything in my wallet entered - credit & debit cards, membership cards, medical insurance, drivers license, etc. I have all the contact information for them too. I added a tag called "wallet" so if my wallet gets lost/stolen I can pull up who to call easily.

I also store the wifi passwords for everywhere I use them - businesses and friends.

You can also add secure notes to logins and other categories. You can attach files like pictures. When a site uses security questions like "What was your first dog?" you can put in a bogus answer like Disneyworld and save that with the login. Even if someone knows a lot about you they can't answer an incorrect question.

The 1Password people provide a lot of good security information. Check out their web site and support forums. Best thing for your master password is using dice words.

7. mivara thread starter macrumors regular

mivara

Great pieces of advice. Thanks! I am using the options for e-mail accounts and router as of now. I am going to play around with the various options. Right now, though, I am a little wary. You know, the concerns when you put all of your information in one single place :) I have to get rid of that mindset soon.