Finally upgrading to Leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gorby, Feb 11, 2008.

1. gorby macrumors 6502

The disc came with my iMac, but I've resisted the urge to upgrade until now (10.5.2), partly because I wanted to know what Tiger was like (this is my first mac ever)

Any tips you can impart before I attempt this? I've read some stuff about "repair your hard drive and permissions before installing." What's this all about?

I don't have any real critical 3rd part apps other than the Adobe Creative Suite. Am I cool to just pop in the disc and click 'upgrade'?

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

yep just pop it in

your adobe will ask you for S/N again when u launch it..

maybe a few other apps will ask for the s/n / cd-keys again , like Toast, but thats about it

3. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I strongly advise against the "Upgrade" option. In the long run, its much better to do a erase and install. It's definitely more of a pain in the ass, but many of the complaints centered around Leopard have been from people who upgraded. When I got my iMac out the box, I did an erase and install on a clean system. If you don't want to go through the pain of backing up, I would at least do an archive and install.

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

I have a large external hard drive connected. What is the best way to make a "PERFECT" backup of my current hard drive onto that External, so that if I wipe it and upgrade to Leopard, and it doesn't work, or I hate it, I can go back to exactly like it was under Tiger?

The 'Backup' Utility of Tiger doesn't seem to do this.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As far as repairing permissions goes. Go to the Utilities folder in you applications folder, open up disk utilities and then click on "repair permissions" It'll take a couple of minutes. It's good thing to do this maybe once a month or so.

6. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

YES!!!

The exact second you pop into your imac desktop, software update launches, close it out IMMEDIATELY. The only thing that I allow you to do in Tiger is pop in the Leopard disc and install. Thats what i did. I did a Tiger set up, at my tiger desktop, immidiatly restarted. Though i did want to play in tiger a bit just to get its feel. But upgrading if you haven't done anything in tiger is almost like erase and install.

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I've never done an OS upgrade, I always do the " Erase and install ".

Oh wait, I once did an OS upgrade and boy what a nightmare that was, but that was with Microsoft Windows. I guess that is where I learned not to do an upgrade.

I think others might be on the mark, if you have not done much in Tiger the risks will be low. Even son I am a big fan of doing a fresh install of any OS.

8. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like fresh install is the way to go, thanks guys.

And thanks for the info on repairing permissions ugg, I didn't know that!

9. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

Does anyone know how to do this?

11. chrisconfessed macrumors member

I have a new 20" mac - I was two days out of the discount for Leopard! Darn. BUT I just did the upgrade and it worked perfectly for me, no complaints here :D