Finally we can download apps outside the App Store

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by canesalato, Nov 11, 2015.

1. canesalato, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

But...you will need a Mac to build those apps with Xcode and load them into your device.
    The process is very easy, requires a few seconds and it's almost automatic. Xcode is free on the Mac App store. And if Apple decides to release Xcode for the iPad, things will be even better.

With iOS9 we got this new possibility. It's my favourite iOS9 feature. It's a small, but very important, bit of freedom and I hope we will get great apps that can't be on the App store.
    Until today things were very calm...but...

But today is a special day: the f.lux team released a version of f.lux ready to be loaded on non jailbroken iOS devices. It's probably one of the most useful Apps you can have on your iPhone, iPad and Mac and I recommend giving it a try if you have never heard about it, because it's one of those small things that can make your digital life better.

That said, it's not f.lux per se...the important thing is that this might start something bigger and more important. I hope other apps will follow. Having an alternative to the App Store and its rules is an important part of the process that will make the iPad an alternative to traditional laptops.

Check out f.lux and follow the instructions to install it on your devices:
    https://justgetflux.com/sideload/

Note: iOS9.2 is still not supported by the stable version of Xcode. Keep this in mind.

Attached Files:

2. appledefenceforce macrumors 6502

appledefenceforce

I hope people who do this don't run to Apple and scream for help when there's something wrong with their devices.

3. canesalato, Nov 11, 2015

canesalato thread starter macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Well said. And when frogs will start falling from the sky, better not run screaming to Apple. Those fools shall find the doors closed. And it will be flames, pain, screams and suffering all over! Well deserved

4. thebro20 macrumors regular

0-100 real quick

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Anyone got theirs running yet? It's on my list of things to do tonight.

6. thebro20, Nov 11, 2015

thebro20 macrumors regular

doing it now, hit a speed bump though. If you're on the IOS 9.2 betas you have to download the Xcode beta. so needless to say i figured that one out after downloading the regular Xcode :rolleyes:

edit: just finished! its easy to do and so far works great!

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just confirming... You have to have a paid developer account, correct?

8. thebro20 macrumors regular

No you do not

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

How are you able to transfer it over to your device then? Sorry for the stupid question. I read the instructions on the main article that Macrumors posted, but I could have sworn you needed to be a developer.

Edit: went to their website linked above and see how to do it.

Now another stupid question I'm on 9.2PB, so there is no way to get access to Xcode beta, is there?

10. thebro20 macrumors regular

Just google Xcode beta and you can download it from the developed section. Same as before, you do not need a dev account to download and use it

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Cool, thanks! Shows how much I know about developer stuff.

12. thebro20 macrumors regular

Apple just opened up Xcode recently to allow people to side load without a dev account, so don't feel too bad ;)

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I hope someone creates an app that I can adjust the LCD color. I hate my yellow tint.

14. thebro20 macrumors regular

The possibilities are endless!

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Would f.lux (which is what essentially started the discussion in the OP) be of some use when it comes to that?

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I tried Googling that, but didn't find the best results. From my searches, it could potentially help, but not be a full replacement for a color profile app.

Once I get some time this week, I plan on downloading and setting it up. I will post back if it works at all. I just need to reduce the yellow screen by like 1000K, (which I guess would be 1000K increase in brightness to make it 'whiter').

17. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

GoodNight app does it !! I already got it working on my 6S plus

https://github.com/anthonya1999/GoodNight

Just change the bundle identifier in both app and widget to something random/yourname instead of the company one.

Got rid of the yellow tint and then some ;)

18. canesalato thread starter macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Eheh that was just a joke :) on people who see the sky falling everytime something is not officially blessed by apple.
    like it has been said, GoodNight works great :)

19. MacSafe macrumors regular

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Last week I used this to compile/deploy Provenance to ipad and appletv.
    Played a bunch of snes super metroid, its pretty awesome.

21. dubvulture macrumors newbie

dubvulture

22. 31 Flavas macrumors 6502

To me, at least, there seems to be enough technicality to the steps needed to sideload that you won't have schmoes doing it. But, as you mention, there probably are going to be more then a few people that never consider the risks and possibilities and will probably download source code that has been infected and then compile and load some super malicious malware onto their device. Then complain that Apple is at fault.

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Anyone have a way to upload the file... I didnt download it in time.

24. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Can you install apps that require root access, such as iFile? If not then this is only half way there... Also one needs a Mac so not a final solution for an iPad user.

However, if this spurs devs to bring their apps to iOS, apps that would of otherwise been turned down by Apple, this could be the start of something...

25. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's on the torrents so f.lux provided the SHA-1.