Finance a Whitebook 2.4 or a new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wayfarer7, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. wayfarer7 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    #1
    Hey everyone..

    I would like a mac so I can use Logic 8 for audio/softsynth recording and mixing. I'm trying to decide between these two options:


    Finance a White MB 2.4 GHz over the period of 24 months (no interest)
    1214+tax

    or

    Finance a new MBP over the period of 24 months (again, no interest)
    2149+tax...brings it to about 2500 if I round it off.


    I really think it would be a better option to just get the new one. I want to be able to use this for the next 5 years at least! Snow Leopard is coming out, and it seems more audio interfaces and etc and going to use FW 800 in the future.

    Only thing is, I would like a mac asap and don't feel like waiting around for Rev. B or C of the new MBP's. I think it would be wise though.

    Would it make a bit of sense to just keep the White MB (I have it now, might return it tommorrow), pay for it for a few months (while deciding if I can afford the newer MBP) -and then sell the MB? Put the money into the new one?

    Will the White MB's resale value drop in early 2009? Something tells me it's a bit stupid to finance a MB when for 40 dollars more a month, I can have a newer MBP. Financing the newer one for $1000 more just seems like a somewhat daft thing to do "in this economy". I would be a student going into late 2009 as well.

    :confused::apple:

    Thanks in advance!

    P.S I know the 'classic' mbp is, in theory, the better option. I had one at a great clearout price. Returned it because apps were crashing and it was freezing. Oh, the joys of the NVIDIA 8600.
     
  2. kiwi031 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #2
    There have been no reports of faults or problems with any of the new Alu MB's or MBP. The portables division at Apple has had plenty of time to work on them.
     
  3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #3

    Not true. The trackpad is flaky on many units and becomes non-responsive for a second or two causing clicks to be missed. Check out the Apple Discussions board under MBP Late 2008. Many reports. I have the issue myself. The big question is, is it a h/w issue or can it be fixed w/ s/w or firmware?
     
  4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #4
    I'd actually suggest that you go the refurb MBP route for now and wait until whatever updates/upgrades are issued next year (possibly around this time) rather than buy one of the two newer products just now. Buy then, when all of the teething problems have been dealt with, as there are glitches an issues which need to be ironed out, a process which may take a few months.
    Cheers
     
  5. wayfarer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    #5
    The place I'm financing it doesn't have any refurb MBPs. They had reduced the MBP price by around 500 dollars - I bought an open box one and returned it. It would have cost me 75 dollars a month for a machine that continuously froze and had it's applications crashing. Not worth it. The GPU in those things = bad. Otherwise, I would have been more than satisfied.

    Maybe I should just wait. If I try to sell the White MB in a few months, I will lose around 200-300 dollars. I just need it for audio applications but I have the mindstate of "buy the best you can possibly afford so it will last a long time"
     

Share This Page