Finance & Banking App

jweakley918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
I'm looking for a personal accounting app for my MBP. Quickbooks and iBank get mixed reviews. I used Quickbooks with my PC and had some negative experiences with it. Any recommendations?

Jack

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You realy don't have any choice besides iBank. I've used it for years and it's pretty good. Your only other real choice is an on line service.

seedman76

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
I've used MINT for several years. It's free and while certainly not perfect it's very good IMO. It's simple to use and fairly customizable.

caribiner23

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Chicago
I migrated to Moneydance when Intuit stopped supporting Quicken for OSX, and then went to You Need a Budget (YNAB) about 4 months ago.

YNAB is a great, multi platform product.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Another vote for iBank. But been eyeballing Moneywiz; but iBank has been good to me for a long time.

jahlinux

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Use Quicken Essentials. So many people give it a negative review but it really does work well.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I just use a spreadsheet. It does everything I need - keeps track of a monthly budget, savings, mortgage repayments etc.
Me too. The thing about making your own xls is that you have to understand your finances in a bit more depth, which can only be a good thing.

Alex

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Use Quicken Essentials. So many people give it a negative review but it really does work well.
As a long time Quicken user...I switched and use Moneydance. Very happy with it. Got tired of Quicken making me pay for an upgrade every couple of years to keep the app working.

And yes...Moneydance keeps your records locally. Don't like giving all my financial info to some web service.

MAH11

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2010
Another vote for Moneydance

I was a long time Quicken user who never got over the demise of Managing Your Money. When Quicken stopped being supported on the Mac in ~2011, I switched to Moneydance and have been happy. My choice was driven primarily by Moneydance's ability to pay bills online.

A year or two ago my bank decided to redo its communications protocols. I alerted Moneydance customer service about the issue, and they handled the change smoothly and efficiently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.