Finance & Banking App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jweakley918, Mar 31, 2014.

1. jweakley918 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a personal accounting app for my MBP. Quickbooks and iBank get mixed reviews. I used Quickbooks with my PC and had some negative experiences with it. Any recommendations?

Jack

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been happy with iBank. They have a free trial so you can DL and test it out if you want.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

You realy don't have any choice besides iBank. I've used it for years and it's pretty good. Your only other real choice is an on line service.

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

5. seedman76 macrumors member

I've used MINT for several years. It's free and while certainly not perfect it's very good IMO. It's simple to use and fairly customizable.

6. And macrumors 6502

And

I just use a spreadsheet. It does everything I need - keeps track of a monthly budget, savings, mortgage repayments etc.

7. charliemacos macrumors newbie

I spent a lot of time looking for Finance apps and stuck with iBank as well.

8. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

I migrated to Moneydance when Intuit stopped supporting Quicken for OSX, and then went to You Need a Budget (YNAB) about 4 months ago.

YNAB is a great, multi platform product.

9. NukeIT macrumors regular

I just started using Mint a few months ago and love how easy it is.

10. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Another vote for iBank. But been eyeballing Moneywiz; but iBank has been good to me for a long time.

11. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

Use Quicken Essentials. So many people give it a negative review but it really does work well.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

iBank or MoneyWell. Both do a great job. My wife uses iBank and I used to. I now use MoneyWell as I prefer its UI.

13. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

I use QE and agree. Solid software that does what most people need. And, your data stays on your computer.

14. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

Me too. The thing about making your own xls is that you have to understand your finances in a bit more depth, which can only be a good thing.

Alex

15. mic j macrumors 68030

As a long time Quicken user...I switched and use Moneydance. Very happy with it. Got tired of Quicken making me pay for an upgrade every couple of years to keep the app working.

And yes...Moneydance keeps your records locally. Don't like giving all my financial info to some web service.

16. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

17. MAH11 macrumors newbie

Another vote for Moneydance

I was a long time Quicken user who never got over the demise of Managing Your Money. When Quicken stopped being supported on the Mac in ~2011, I switched to Moneydance and have been happy. My choice was driven primarily by Moneydance's ability to pay bills online.

A year or two ago my bank decided to redo its communications protocols. I alerted Moneydance customer service about the issue, and they handled the change smoothly and efficiently.