Finance students, I have a question.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Dec 2, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What book(s) can I get to learn about finance from square 1 as quickly as possible?

I possibly have an advanced finance course I may take next year and I have to get up to speed. It's in an MBA program and for some strange reason, the program removed the "intro to finance" course from their list and I have to dive into second year without any knowledge of finance whatsoever. Since they ditched intro, they have probably consolidated it all into one course.

2. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I may take the dive...should I buy Finance for Dummies or is that more for home finances instead of school?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Did they remove the class from the school, or only the requirement in the MBA program for the class.

Can always audit the Intro to Finance class if you have the time.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

The school added 15 more units to the program of new courses and removed the 3 unit intro to finance. I went to school some years back, ran out of money, and had to quit. Now I am resuming under a new improved program and set of classes, but at the same school so I can transfer everything.

5. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Maybe taking an accelerated course over the summer at a local community college might be a good option.

6. KompleX macrumors regular

what kind of finance are you looking to study? if you just want to become familiar w/ the financial nomenclature then any introductory book will do the job just fine, but if you want something more technical then i suggest you pickup the book: options futures and other derivatives. it might be a lengthy read but it will give you a head start and exposure to stuff you will be doing later.

7. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I would suggest not getting a For Dummies book. Every other introductory book you'll find will be just as easy if not easier. And the For Dummies books usually have 15-25 pages of filler at the beginning, reminding you that what you're about to learn isn't that hard. I just think it's annoying to not learn anything for the first 30 minutes of reading.

My advice would be to get the smallest book you can find that covers the material you need to know.