Financial Software/Scanning Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 3282868, Jan 6, 2014.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

I'm digitizing my office - scanning receipts, payments, etc. Using "Chronicle" to track expenses and attaching screen shot confirmations of payments, and "Home Inventory" to catalog my home belongings with attached scanned receipts (includes my insurance policies, documents purchase dates, warranties, calculates whether I have enough coverage, etc.). I also need to scan/keep digital copies of tax forms, payments, etc.

I've read reviews on various app's, from "Neatworks" to "Paperless", and have dabbled in each. I don't want to digitize my files in one system to later discover inadequacies. I need a flexible system with scanning via a traditional scanner or iPhone, custom fields, exporting into various applications such as Quicken or iBank (advice: iBank 5 is a fantastic update, finally replaces Quicken 2007, highly recommend), etc. I'm also considering FileMaker Pro for a home database solution, yet that seems overkill.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thanks! Hope everyone is bunkering down in the northeast US, not good out there.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I scanned all my personal documents using a Scansnap scanner. I keep all my documents in a folder structure that meets my needs. It syncs to Dropbox so I can access my records remotely. Apps like Devonthink are overkill for my needs but might be what you need.

My main guide for the process was David Sparks book "Paperless". Since this is your business make sure you have a good backup and disaster recovery plan.

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks so much, appreciate the info. I also have a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 that I plan on using. I considered simply scanning them as PDF's into subfolder's as opposed to using a database system. I may start using that method as I can always enter scanned documents into database applications.

Thanks for the recommendation on "Paperless", I'll pick up a copy and give it a good read. I'm fairly organized with my systems, so it shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks again!