Financing MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikalh78, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mikalh78 macrumors regular

Hey I just wondering if I was able to finance a MacBook through Apple. I am a student and from Ontario.

2. mikalh78 thread starter macrumors regular

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Yep, you are. Details are available on apples website!

4. mattnxtc macrumors member

Dont finance...If you cant afford it...wait until you can and then buy it. You end up paying so much more for it if you do.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

yes you can but don't do it. If you can't afford it then just get a PC. Even though I love Apple there really isn't anything you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC.

/flamesuit on

6. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Ahem... BASH, X11, and general Unix use is retarded on a Windows PC. A Linux box is another conversation.

7. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Apple has 90 day no interest financing, so just because he can't afford $2000 all at once doesn't mean he can't afford $666 for 3 months

8. mikalh78 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not rich like everyone on here. I'm a student and I'm working part time and I can definitely make monthly payments that are approx $666-700.

9. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

My friend bought a MacBook from Best buy with 2 years no interest. When I bought my living room furniture I got 15 months no interest no payments I paid the same amount as I would have if I would have paid with cash. Financing doesn't always mean you'll pay more it as long as you are responsible and make the required payments to pay off what you bought.

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

not worth it. I say just wait till you can afford it with cash. Generally it's never good to finance technology IMO.

11. hazoomeh macrumors member

Financing any nonessential like a computer is a huge mistake. I'm sorry you have to read through all the euphoria of everyone getting their shiny new glassbooks, but just save and wait it out if it's that important to you.

If you are a university student then your school must have computer labs that have the software and equipment needed to complete your work, check email, surf the web, etc. Everything else (like playing WoW) is extra fluff that you can do without for now. Priorities first bro.

12. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Wow...that must a be a super high power part time job for you to be able to afford a monthly payment that large on computer equipment. The last time I did that, I was paying a loan on a truck with a full time job (and even then, it wasn't trivial to me).

What the poster was saying was that you're gonna pay out the yinyang in financing fees...that may not bother some people but may bother more than a few college students. If you're paying attention to current events, you'll see that loans are a serious matter.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Comparing 2 yrs to 15 months is quite a bit different to comparing 2 yrs (or 15 months) to 90 days of no interest. That's a HUGE difference. In this case, he's going to pay more than if he used cash (naturally)...I doubt he has any other financing institution to use (or he'd have mentioned it).

14. mikalh78 thread starter macrumors regular

bad news

so i called Apple to see if there was any financing options available, but since I'm living in Canada there is nothing available. So my next option is to actually save up and get it.

15. cryonic49 macrumors member

it's good to actually save up and buy WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD...

people should never finance on non-essential items - buying stuff out of your means is a perfect example of modern materialistic lust

16. gwmac macrumors member

gwmac

That's the most sensible thing, save as much as you can on things and try to cut down on non essentials, eat out less, prepare your own food and just think value every time you spend. If you can afford those monthly payments it will take you no longer than 12 weeks, good luck.
    Edit: If OSX is especially important, do consider a white macbook from ebay, and look to upgrade in a year or so?

17. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I would really recommend saving if you have a choice! ... However, anyone here would be lying if they said they've never bought anything they couldn't *really* afford.

If that's the case, at least be smart about it. I'd try Best Buy. They offer two years of 0% financing. That comes out to about $50/month. If you can afford that, I'd recommend taking that route. ESPECIALLY, if you can save up a few hundred first. Financing something like $800 over two years is chump change each month ;)

18. mattnxtc macrumors member

Its just a good practice on nonessential items. No reason to finance unless you dont have to.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I buy all my Macs through Best Buy. I pay a big chunk up front and finance the rest. I always get no interest deals with them. It's a great way to go.

20. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I know it is I was just saying that financing isn't always a bad thing. Besides he's already said he could pay it off in 90 days so he won't be paying more. Also since he can pay it off before interest kicks in it will help him build credit.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Save 666 for 3 months until you can afford it.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- if you can get a no interest deal, it's not a problem at all.

23. paj macrumors regular

paj

Damn right. Why use your own money when someone else will let you use theirs for free. Yours can be earning interest in the bank.

24. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

A no-interest financing program like those offered at Best Buy and Future Shop are a great way to build up a strong credit score if you make all the payments on time. Try going to Future Shop, OP.

25. me2000 macrumors 6502

I don't see what the issue is if he gets 0% financing...

Just be positive you can pay it off within the 0% financing period and you'll be golden.

I actually might do this with Best Buy since I have most of the money, but not quite all.

Edit: Where are these 12/24 month Best Buy financing offers? I only see 90 days.