Financing/Student Discounts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by auzy07, May 11, 2008.

1. auzy07 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. I've been wanting to switch away from the microsoft demon for a while and go a step up to a mac. I would really like a macbook that is, I was wondering what kind of financing plans they had and how much of a student discount I can get.
    Any information on buying a mac is appreciated.
    Thanks everybody
    Auzy

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My recommendation if you must finance a Mac is to NOT use Apple's Juniper card. Even with great credit you can certainly find alternatives that aren't going to cost you an arm and a leg.

4. mrwindup macrumors member

There really isn't any problem financing your Mac with the Juniper card. As long as you plan ahead and make sure you can pay off the debt within the 90 day period.

5. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

If you do plan on using student discount on the apple store, I would recommend you wait until the start of the new academic year as Apple usually have offers like 'buy a mac get a free ipod nano' at that time. I did this when I got my macbook, definitely a nice little perk!:)

6. auzy07 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya, im going to save up this summer and get one next year. what is this juniper card? and why would it have a bad rap? is it a set $100 off a macbook or is it a %? and would it be different for a macbook pro/would that be a better choice. i want to get into video editing and more than likely ill be using it heavily for audio editing.

7. schmidt190 macrumors member

am i out of touch?

i just went to the apple store for education and the discount was $200 for a mbp.
    *NVM im a dumbass i didnt see that there was no 'Pro' at the end of macbook and now i cant delete this.

8. MM07 macrumors 6502a

LOL. I was just ready to get pissed that I only saved $100. :D

9. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Juniper is a credit card company backed by Barclays Bank. As with most (if not all) credit card companies, the feeling is that they have insidious terms designed to change interest rates without notice, tack on fees, etc. This is a huge problem right now, and Congress has been investigating. These issues won't be fixed until Congress passes the Credit Card Bill of Rights.

If you plan on doing video and heavy audio editing, a MBP would be better suited towards your needs. However, if you don't need the portabilty, an iMac would be much more suitable and cheaper.

10. auzy07 thread starter macrumors newbie

im gunna need the portability. i was wanting a mbp but the cost is so much more. was the guy a few posts up saying $200 off a mbp and only $100 off a mb with the student discount?

11. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

yup.

100 off MB
    200 off MBP

you can go to store.apple.com - to the education store, and see all the pricing.

also, applecare is discounted (pretty hefty too) for students.

the only one i remember/know for sure is imac 169 -> 119.
    laptops are more of course.

b

12. auzy07 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everybody, you've all been helpful, prob gunna wait till the fall and get a mbp with a free w/e they are offereing.
    auzy