Financing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by baxingo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. baxingo macrumors member

Hey there, just a quick question. Does anyone know how much per month it would cost to finance a base 11'' mba?

Thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It depends on if you pay your balance off every month or not. You're looking at a 23% variable interest rate from the Barclaycard via Apple.

See here for more: Apple Financing

Looks like they have a 6 month and a 12 month promotional period.

Be sure to read the fine print.

3. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

Do I need Apples Barclays visa card to get financing?

4. dangerfish macrumors 6502

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No. You can get a credit card from anybody and use that to buy your Mac.

Personally, I think its better to save your money and pay cash for it. Or put it on the credit card and then immediately pay the full amount off on the next CC bill.

6. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Yes. Apple is not giving you the credit. Barclay is. You need to apply and be approved by them. They can approve you instantly but so can the Amazon card.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This is how I financed my Air. I'm about 90% I'll have it paid before the first 12 months is over, but it's nice to have the option of going low on a month if necessary :)

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Be careful here. If you don't have it 100% paid off by the end of the 12 months then they charge interest from day 1 on the unpaid amount (at least I think it's just the unpaid amount - check the agreement or call Barclays to be sure). Also, don't miss a payment since that will end the promotional rate, too. Set up an automatic payment with your card, and set lots of reminders on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, physical calendar, and refrigerator if you need to in order to make sure that you have it paid off by then.

Note, too, that it's 12 months from the purchase date, which might not (probably doesn't) fall on a normal payment due date, so take that into account, too.

The way these card companies make money is two-fold. First, they take a percentage off the original purchase price (usually about 2%) from what they pay to Apple. They also assume a certain percentage won't pay off on time and will be charged the exorbitant rate of interest from day 1.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I know :) --The financing is for 24 months. I meant that I'm pretty sure I can pay it off within a year, but it's nice to have that flexibility.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

OK. I didn't read it closely enough and thought you were talking about the Barclays plan, which is 12 months.