Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Last Friday, I could not locate my AirPods in my home after work. .Find My AirPods on my phone showed my last used time was 3:40PM and their location were around my office area. Saturday Morning, i found that that my AirPods were left on my car which was parked on my drive way just outside my house ( about 25feet). The AirPods were all charged showing green on the charging case.

Why Find My AirPods could not locate them correctly?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Last Friday, I could not locate my AirPods in my home after work. .Find My AirPods on my phone showed my last used time was 3:40PM and their location were around my office area. Saturday Morning, i found that that my AirPods were left on my car which was parked on my drive way just outside my house ( about 25feet). The AirPods were all charged showing green on the charging case.

Why Find My AirPods could not locate them correctly?

Find my AirPods only works when the AirPods are actively connected via bluetooth. Find My AirPods can't locate a lost AirPods Case or work when the AirPods are stored in the case and are disconnected from the iPhone.

daye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
So what the feature is used for ? My AirPods were in the case on my car within 25 feet away from me and my iPhone ( with bluetooth turned on ) can not locate it using that Find AirPods ?

Thanks for the clarification anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So what the feature is used for ? My AirPods were in the case on my car within 25 feet away from me and my iPhone ( with bluetooth turned on ) can not locate it using that Find AirPods ?

Thanks for the clarification anyway.

Your AirPods could not have been connected to your iPhone if they were inside the case, with the case closed. AirPods have to be out of the case and connected to your iPhone to display a find my AirPod alert.

"If your AirPods aren't connected to your iPhone, their exact location is not relayed to Find My iPhone. In this situation, the last known location of the AirPods when they were connected to an iPhone displayed. "

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/find-my-airpods-ios-10-3/amp/

daye

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
thanks for your reply. so If I left my AirPods (without the case) in a location miles away from my current location. The find my AirPods can location it? or it has to be wishing the Bluetooth range IE, 30feet etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.