"Find all posts by ___" request

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Tilpots, May 8, 2009.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I try to stay current on the discussions I'm involved in by going to Forums->Quick Links->My Profile->Find All Posts by <insert name here>. I'm hoping this site may be able to make a great feature even better. Would it be possible to add the number of the post somwhere on this list. The page already displays how many total replies the thread has gotten, I just think it might be helpful to know where my post came in this conversation. So when I go to check a conversation I'm involved with, I can easily see how far along the thread has moved since my last post. Possible, a waste of time, or a better idea for me to follow threads??? Please let me know.

In case I've not been clear, here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In your pic you've given, if you click on (in the first one) "Not a big fan of how iTunes handles multiple..." it will bring you to your post and you can scroll from there.

Otherwise you might consider subscribing to any threads you post in. Then it will send you updates automatically via e-mail.

It still might be possible to show you what post # yours is in the thread but that's something for the site admins to look at.

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks for the input. The only reasons I'm not big on subscribing is having to manage the subscriptions and I'm trying to cut down on emails. I just want to see if it can all be handled on this board. May be lazy on my part, but if it's simple to add for every post, I think other might enjoy it as well.

Right. That's what I usually do. I'll look at the replies and try to remember which number it was on previously, but I often forget, so then I'll have to click on that post to see. Just trying save some steps. Thanks SilentPanda and congrats on the promotion!

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So it would also be nice, if we could turn of the Subscription emails.

Is there a way?

MRoogle turned up nothing.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW, I do think that would be useful info on that screen just for general use. Don't know that it's possible, but it'd be nice.

As for the above, two other options:

Option 1: Set your default subscription behavior in the User CP to be not to receive any e-mail updates, but to automatically subscribe to the threads. Then, your UserCP will automatically show you the threads you've posted in with recent posts.

If you use this link instead:

http://forums.macrumors.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

It will do one better by showing threads by recency whether or not they've been updated, so you can see which ones have new responses and which do not.

Option 2:

You can bookmark

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=process&starteronly=0&searchuser=username&exactname=1&sortby=lastpost&order=descending&searchdate=0

Except that you need to change out "username" in there to be your own username.

I like (and do) option 1, FWIW. Option 2 comes courtesy of other moderators who taught me it. :eek:

7. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Glad you think so, too.:) Maybe it's possible without moving heaven and earth...

Both of these options are better than what I'm currently doing so I'll give them a shot. I think I like Option #2 better than #1 so I don't have to subscribe to as many threads. Plus it's like looking at my own personal subforum.:D I usually try to save the subscriptions for post I've started (not that there's been that many, more of a follower 'round here:eek:)

***Sorry for the double post SilentPanda, thanks for the merge