Find current install apps on device

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Nnavick, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Nnavick macrumors regular

Hi,
    how can I find the current install apps on the device?
    I want to show all of them in UITable but I can't figure out how to
    find the current apps on the iphone.

Thanks

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Like the other 941 topics created about this. This is only possible on Jailbroken devices, so that's undocumented for pure native iOS developers, so can't answer on that.

3. Nnavick thread starter macrumors regular

and you are worng!!
    heyzap knows what games installed on your devices and so do appsfire.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

heyzap appears to be some sort of social gaming framework. When you say it knows what apps are installed do you mean it know every app on you device, or just the heyzap enabled ones?

Similarly appsfire seems to be some sort of social platform. Does it know all apps installed or just appsfire enabled ones?

5. Nnavick thread starter macrumors regular

you mean if they have any API?
    Heyzap has API but I don't think that appsfire has because it's shows all my installed apps on my iphone.

6. robbieduncan, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, if I meant do they have an API I'd have said that. You said these things could report the apps installed on your phone. I asked a specific question about what they show. Do they have the ability to show all apps on the phone. I ask as, like jnoxx, my understanding is that there is no public API to get this. Hence I believe these social frameworks can only list apps that use these frameworks and not all installed apps.

Edit to add: Just installed Appsfire. The only app listed as "Installed on my iPhone" is Appsfile. It has asked me if I own 41 other apps. It's guessed some I do own and some I don't. So this would seem to confirm it has no way of knowing what's installed.

7. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Don't call me wrong, because I stated a clear answer to your question. Like alot of people before you tried.
    It is quite obvious that it won't work. since you are only allowed to stay in your sandbox, and you are not allowed to be snooping around in the iphone around the app (if you would have read the documentation/and or google).
    The only things that are allowed outside your app, is like, checking for WIFI/Camera and setting the settings, but even then, it's controlled by the OS.
    So like Robbie(Duncan) said.
    There is probably a way in this "engine" that it will remember on your device, on a webservice or something, what apps you have installed or de-installed.
    And in every app it can load this. it's a dirty trick, but hey, it should work.