Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2021
I was setting up an AirTag for one of my dogs last night and added a 'Notify When Left Behind' exception for my home address. The Find My app showed my home address ("200 X Street"), and I selected it from the list. After tapping done and returning to the Notify screen, the exception for Notify When Left Behind inexplicably shows my neighbor's address on the corner down the street ("100 Y Street"). This is not particularly helpful since the dog could still be in my yard and out of range of that address. I've already contacted Apple Support, and they recommended resetting the AirTag, but this really seems like more of a "Find My" app issue. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
When you reset the airtag, you're also delete the incorrect entry in find my, and then create an entirely new entry. The new entry hopefully won't have the same issue.

So I recommend trying what apple support suggested.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
As I reported in another thread. Home is determine in privacy, frequent locations.

Since iOS 15 you cannot delete individual entries so you need to clear the whole section and then give it 2 days (which it took me) to establish where my home was.

On day 3, it was correct for me in find my left behind

No idea why they don't just use the home address in your contacts...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
As I reported in another thread. Home is determine in privacy, frequent locations.

Since iOS 15 you cannot delete individual entries so you need to clear the whole section and then give it 2 days (which it took me) to establish where my home was.

On day 3, it was correct for me in find my left behind

No idea why they don't just use the home address in your contacts...

It does use your contact card. Maps and Find My use the same data obtained from your contact card.

IMG_9C71DD8238A7-1.jpeg

If I change my address to an adjacent street in my contact card it changes in Find My...

IMG_4499.PNG

Then if I change it again in my contact card....

IMG_4500.PNG

(excuse the editing I didn't want to display my address on here for privacy reasons)

It did take a minute or two to update after editing it but as you can see my address in Find My for Home is changing as I change my contact card.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I was setting up an AirTag for one of my dogs last night and added a 'Notify When Left Behind' exception for my home address. The Find My app showed my home address ("200 X Street"), and I selected it from the list. After tapping done and returning to the Notify screen, the exception for Notify When Left Behind inexplicably shows my neighbor's address on the corner down the street ("100 Y Street"). This is not particularly helpful since the dog could still be in my yard and out of range of that address. I've already contacted Apple Support, and they recommended resetting the AirTag, but this really seems like more of a "Find My" app issue. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Verify I'm reading this correctly.

You typed in your address and selected it from a list. However in the Find My app its showing your neighbors house on the map?

IF that is the case. Goto your Contact Card verify the address under Home is your correct mailing address.

Then open the Maps app. You should have "Home" under 'Favorites'

IMG_30A73E81258A-1.jpeg

Tap on Home and verify the address there is your mailing address. Above that address you'll see this...

IMG_81D3C04C7ABD-1.jpeg

Tap on "Move" (highlighted)....

Then counter intuitively you'll need to move the map (not the pin) so the pin points at your house. Click "Done" and then click "Report this error to Apple". They are pretty quick at fixing the issue in their database (1-2 months is quick for map changes).

What you did there was entered the correct mailing address and moved the Home geofence marker to match the address. So if you said "Hey Siri give me directions Home" it will take you to the pin which is now conveniently located at your house, not your neighbors.

Now go back into Find My and you may need to delete the exception. Make a new one, however this time type in "Home". Increase the geofence to cover the majority of your property.

Give this time between steps because its updating via iCloud and across apps.

Hopefully I understood your problem properly....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.