Find my Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TxRN, Apr 26, 2015.

1. TxRN macrumors member

TxRN

Not sure if anyone has brought this up, but this is one feature I wish the watches had. I know there's the feature to locate your phone, but losing my watch would be a big deal. Not sure why such an important feature is missing.

2. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Probably because the watch is physically attached to you. Most people aren't rising it on and off throughout the day yet how many times a day does someone set their phone on a counter, a desk, a nightstand, a table etc?

3. Kent01 macrumors 6502

No GPS or standalone WiFi are the reasons why. The WiFi uses ad-hoc and communication of the WiFi network via Bluetooth to the phone.

I suppose Find my Watch would work via Bluetooth so long as you were within 50 feet of it.

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Oooh, hope I find it :p

Seriously, though, I've never lost a watch. It's either on my wrist or in the "where I keep all my watches" location at home.
    That's a feature I don't think I'd need even if it were available.

5. TxRN thread starter macrumors member

TxRN

I've "misplaced" my watch once and it drove me insane. It eventually turned up, but the endless searching drove me crazy.

This thought occurred while my husband and I were talking about going through airport security and how comfortable I'd be taking off my watch. My cousin's Rolex never met her on the other side of the scanner. I was explaining to my husband that it was the perfect set up--passengers are in a rush with flights to catch, security lines are crowded and the TSA agent can just deny seeing anything. That's what happened in her case.

6. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Sure, but that doesn't mean that it won't be stolen off of you or that you won't take it off to go in a pool, etc.

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

As someone else posted, it has no independent connectivity so once you are out of range there's nothing you can do.

8. ohsnaphappy macrumors regular

ohsnaphappy

First, if your watch is lost in your house, like in the couch cushions, there should definitely be a find my watch feature available. Wow. That's a huge oversight. Second. I should be able to put in lost mode. So if a thief gets it he can't use it. Or will the pin achieve this???

9. Applebiter4 macrumors newbie

Applebiter4

Watch and phone should both sound alarms

----------

Watch and phone should both sound alarms when they disconnect from one another at least.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

There's no GPS so that's probably why Apple excluded this feature.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That's a great point about wearing the watch through a security checkpoint. I may end up simply putting in my Oakley watch case and leaving it in my carry-on, to avoid having such a tempting target for the TSA guys to easily steal.