Find My Friends on AW 3

theman510

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
If I ask my watch "Hey Siri, where's Tom?" it tells me "Use your iPhone. I can help you find your friends on there".

If I ask my watch "Hey Siri, open Find My Friends" I get the same answer.

If I say "Hey Siri, open Find Friends" (take out the word MY) it opens up the find my friends app on my watch.

Is this the same experience for everyone? It would be awesome to just say ""Hey Siri, where's Tom?" and have it open up the app and show me where Tom is. Seems like something it should be able to do.

Reactions: smile1fish

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
If I ask my watch "Hey Siri, where's Tom?" it tells me "Use your iPhone. I can help you find your friends on there".

If I ask my watch "Hey Siri, open Find My Friends" I get the same answer.

If I say "Hey Siri, open Find Friends" (take out the word MY) it opens up the find my friends app on my watch.

Is this the same experience for everyone? It would be awesome to just say ""Hey Siri, where's Tom?" and have it open up the app and show me where Tom is. Seems like something it should be able to do.
I find it easier to just open the app anyways. Much quicker IMO.

Off topic, but I sure do wish Apple would revamp Find my Friends!

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
I would just like to say.. you will also be able to get some useful response by contacting Apple customer service. Unfortunately I don't have any friend that will give me such a permission so I have no idea if it's working or not. :oops:

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
On your first Query, I get the same Siri behavior. On your second Query, Siri on the Watch opens Find My Friends and I get a short list with the Name, Distance and location Name if available. On your third Query, same results as the second Query.

Also the Title on the Watch app is displayed as Find Friends.

Dave

Reactions: nicho

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Apple is not consistent in using Find Friends app vs Find My Friends app on the Watch. There are also similar examples on the iPhone, the App Icon has "Find Friends" but once you open the App, the Title is Find My Friends.

In my post above I indicated that Siri works correctly with both name versions for me. Here are a couple of examples from the Watch's documentation where Find My Friends is referenced instead of just Find Friends.

Meeting up with a friend? If you’ve shared your location and asked to follow a friend, you can see where they are in the Find My Friends app on Apple Watch.

Who’s nearby? Open Find My Friends
to see a list of your friends, with each friend’s approximate location and distance from you. Turn the Digital Crown to see more.

See a friend’s location. Open Find My Friends
, then tap a friend to see their location on a map. Tap < in the top-left corner to return to your Friends list.​

Dave

theman510

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
It is a bit confusing, and I guess I could always just say "Hey Siri, open find friends". Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one experiencing this. I'll send it in to Apple anyway, you never know