Find my iMac - NOT!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ImacNoMore, Oct 26, 2015.

1. ImacNoMore macrumors newbie

AN open gripe, Apple. Two weeks ago, my iMac was stolen from my home. Police asked me to turn on the Find My IPhone feature and much to my hopeful glee, I turned on the notification and the computer lockdown. Now we just wait for the thieves to turn it on, I get the signal, it locks down and we call the cops! Right? NOPE!! Totally wrong. Turns out that for some bizarre reason, Find Your iMac doesn't work like Find Your iPhone/iPad. You see, with the other two devices, you get the last known location of the device, up to 24 hours ago. But the iMac must be on to trace it, and I guess you geniuses (your word, not mine) don't think it might be useful to have the same 24 hours of tracing the signal on the iMac?

So now that the burglars turned on my iMac last night at 1:30am and I kinda missed that email, the homing beacon sure enough locked it down and probably scared the crap out of them that they just sent a signal that can reveal their location. But rest assured bad guys, you and my now useless iMac are safe. Apple doesn't gather that bit of helpful info. Now, if you were the bad guys, would you ever turn that thing on again? And who would if some unassuming buyer purchased the stolen goods? Nope, I guess it's a towel rack now.

if my iPhone falls out of my pocket, hits the ground and goes dead, I have its last known location for 24 hours. But is my iMac going to get misplaced? Oops, I dropped my 30lb iMac, it must have fallen out of my arms and I didn't notice? No! The only reasonable and likely most common scenario is that it was stolen. So why wouldn't you record its last known location? Not a very useful a technology now, is it? Thanks, guess the home movies of the kids are gone forever.

PS - I tried posting this to Apple's forum, but there, the programming is sophisticated enough to not allow it. Sigh.

2. theosg macrumors newbie

theosg

I feel your pain and my heart goes out to you.
    Colleague had a similar experience.
    They could definitely improve that feature a ton!