Find my iPad - great, but only under certain condition...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nishi100, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Lets say you have an iPad 3g, which has a GPS; therefore, you can get a very accurate pinpoint location.

However, if, lets say, you were on holiday (and you disabled your 3G as 3G is a rip off, outside the UK), browsing the web of your hotel/apartment's WiFi. You then put it down for a second and it disappears. So, you go to a computer, log on the MobileMe, and then click Find my iPad. Lets say the thief has gone out of the WiFi area - now what? You cannot find it as it isn't connected the WiFi or 3g, you cannot send it a message and you cannot remote wipe it.

Find my iPhone is only good for finding your iPhone as the iPhone is always connected to 3G. The iPad may not be, especially if you only have a one day plan, when you want it. The Find my iPad will only, I think, be good for around the house, or if you have a 3G iPad, or the thief is very dumb and stays in the same room as you, when he has stolen it. However, I can see when, lets say, you are in McDonald's browsing the web over WiFi, then you leave you 9.7 inch iPad, on the table; obviously, it is still connected to WiFi so MobileMe can connect to it.

BTW: Is there a component, that will allow "Find my iPad" to connect to your iPad and use the GPS to locate it, without it needing toe be connected to a WiFi network or 3G (hopefully, in the future, 4G)?

2. Alvi, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

It's better than nothing, and no, you can't really just use GPS atm because the iPad uses A-GPS, (assisted by 3G)

EDIT: also, the App is triggered by 3G, It's like a push notification

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

GPS is on even if 3g is off, IIRC. Not jailbroken again, yet.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

So what's the problem? You're getting enhanced functionality which may well be useful for some but not all people. And who knows, it may be useful for you one day. Until then, why gripe?