Find My iPhone doesn't work on existing iDevices after iOS 4.2.1 upgrade [SOLUTION]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orpheus1120, Nov 22, 2010.

1. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I have 5 devices under MobileMe''s Find My iPhone. After iOS 4.2.1, FMi can't find all the devices.

This is what I do to enable the feature AGAIN

1) Go into MAPS app. Search for your current location. A pop-up message will appear asking you to allow location search. Tab YES.

2) Go into SETTINGS>GENERAL>MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDARS>MOBILEME.

3) Turn Find My iPhone/iPad OFF. Click DONE if applicable.

4) Re-enable the FMi again by clicking the feature to ON again.

*note: Step 1 is needed if you have just upgraded and have not accessed the MAPS app yet.

Retest the result using the FMi app. It should work.

I notice my iDevices prompted me to check my Me.com account settings again. Eventhough MYi feature is turned on, the server doesn't seem to register that.

I rebooted devices to no avail. But tried the above steps and it solved the problems.

2. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

Thanks a lot, I followed these steps and my FMi is working on all my devices again. :)

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Lol

Let's hope if our iPhones get stolen the thief doesn't:
    a) remove the SIM, or
    b) switch off Mobile me, or
    c) delete the contents of the phone, or
    d) run a firmware update

I guess I am coming round to the fact that the Find My iPhone feature is a bit of a gimmic. If it's stolen, you're probably screwed anyway. And if you leave it at somebody's house - you probably know whos!

4. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

this is why the iphone has a password lock ;)

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

That's not going to get my iPhone back!

6. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

it will if you have find my iphone enabled.......you will know exactly where it is..

if i ever lost my iphone or had it stolen you could bet your ass i would go looking for it, even if it was half way across the country!

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've stolen your iPhone, now I'm looking at photos of your family and ringing all of your contacts.

^^ That scenario is more worrying to me than not getting my phone back.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Apple users are an interesting bunch.

Tell an average human being that they can now find their lost phone and they'd say "that's a neat feature!"

Tell an Apple user and they say "What!? Is that all? Useless. I only want features that solve ALL of my problems, not just some of them."

9. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Some truth in that, but I would argue it doesn't solve even some of my problems - hence whinging! When did you last lose your phone (not including losing it within your house, which this feature does not help with) (oh and also, not including if it's stolen either)?

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The feature that lets you tell the phone to make a noise for 2 minutes (even if it is on silent) is very useful in that scenario.

11. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Now that is useful (that it makes a sound on silent mode) - I didn't know that. Thanks. Better than phoning my mobile and trying to listen for the vibration!