Find my iPhone (doesn't work with iPod)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jostian, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jostian macrumors newbie

Ok so I have tried the find my iphone on mobileme on 2 seperate wifi networks and on both it says 'location is not available' even though my ipod is lying next to me connected to the wifi network:mad:??? now surely the idea behind the find my iphone or in this case ipod is to actually find it!!!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I know it's kind of obvious, but this is what ended up being my problem: Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars -- make sure you are logged into your me.com account. I thought I was, but when I went in there, the password field was blank. In the upgrade, it wiped out my login.

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The feature is called "Find my iPhone" not find my iPod Touch :)

4. Jostian thread starter macrumors newbie

Will check my account settings thanks, Find my iphone works with ipod too where there is wifi access so Apple says...

5. sebast1anc macrumors member

Yes, but it is still a functioning feature for the iPod touch. It waits until the iPod is connected a wifi network to send the message and/or locate it on the map on the MobileMe website.

I've tried it out twice and it works well. If the iPod is not connected at the same moment that you send the message, it will send you an e-mail to tell you that the message was received on the iPod touch. I havent tested wiping the iPod as I don't feel like resyncing all of my data, but I'm sure it works the same way.

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

7. Jostian thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe its because I'm in South Africa? maybe some functionality is not available? just like the sad fact that we don't have an iTunes store yet