Find My iPhone feature question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Angelo921, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 6 and my teenage daughter has an iPhone 5 (both with IOS 8). I want to be able to track where she is at using "Find My iPhone" without her getting an email telling someone tried to locate your phone. She never received these emails when we were both on IOS 7. Is there anything I can do to setup her account so she doesnt get them? I didnt see anything related to that when I logged into her Apple ID security settings.

2. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

add her to "find my friends" not "find my iphone"

3. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I do it that way will she know each time I'm checking up on her?

4. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

No. You just have to install it on her phone and hide it in a folder. Then install the same App on your phone, and you're sorted. You just have to add each other for it to work.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Nope. You can watch that map all day long non stop and the only why she would be able to tell is the fact that her battery is really low. But the likelihood of her putting low battery to find my friends is pretty low.:D But checking in every now and then wont effect battery life pretty much at all.

6. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Did something change however that now emails the person. I don't remember it being like that before.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

You know her account info just log on to iCloud.com and delete it. And I'm pretty sure its always sent an email. I know it did when i set find my friends up

8. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

The emails go to her gmail address. Don't have the pwd to that.

9. eww7633 macrumors regular

Find my Friends does not alert the other person. If you setup family sharing, you can do this same thing. You can also enable restrictions in Settings > General > Restrictions so that she cannot disable location services or Share my location.

10. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I will have to look into it. The trick is to get it installed on her phone which she has password locked. Ahh! The joy of teenagers lol

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Find My iPhone doesn't notify the other device users that you're checking on a location unless you direct it to send an email when a missing device's location is found (if a device doesn't appear, due to bad signal, subway, etc.) You may passively track the location of all devices listed with Find My iPhone under the same Apple ID.

This comes in handy when you have several family members owning several devices each. If something is misplaced, lost or stolen, you have all of the device locations listed in one viewing app. Then you can lock, wipe, etc. as needed for security.

12. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then somehow that setting changed where it does send her an email now when I track her. Where can I go to change that back? Thank you

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's with the lying? Tell her to put it on her phone and never turn it off.

I don't know if you're the mom or the dad but either way I'm gonna suggest that you "man up" and make it a condition for allowing her to have a cell phone while still living under your roof.

I try to not always be the big bad parent but, come on, you can't do the ENTIRE job like a passive wallflower.

14. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like your way of thinking.

15. lelisa13p, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

If a device is showing as Offline on the Find My iPhone list (due to the situations I mentioned or because the device has been turned OFF), when you touch that device's listing, an option is shown to Play Sound, Lock, Erase and to Notify When Found. The last option generates an email to the Apple ID used in FMiP. The option for email doesn't appear unless the device is Offline. You must have chosen that option when you couldn't locate your daughter's iPhone. It only sends an email when the device is once again located by FMiP.

For security, I'd use the Apple ID that you have for your iPhone on Find My iPhone on hers, too (for Find My iPhone.) Then do as suggested by an earlier post and turn Restrictions ON on her iPhone and don't allow her to make any changes to Settings. She's your kid, you likely paid for the iPhone and the service and you have a right to know that your valuables (child and device) are located where you expect them to be. Children's phone use is a privilege, not a right, no matter how old they are (underage.)

16. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

17. rocat1997 macrumors regular

Mine also sends an email on every track. Started after iOS 8 was installed. Find my phone works best.

18. Steroc macrumors newbie

I'm still on iOS 7 and since the launch of iOS 8 it now sends an email regardless of which iOS you're on.

19. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn Apple lol

20. Beelzbub macrumors 6502

When I use the find my iPhone app it does not send an email. Even when I go to www.icloud.com and use the find my iPhone feature there, it still does not send an email. The only time it sends an email is when I hit the play sound button so I can find my daughters iPhone lost in the house somewhere, then it sends an email, but simply using the app and looking on a map to see where the device is, its never sent an email.

The other day my wife somehow ran out of gas while driving (yeah I know lol), was not sure exactly where she was. I used the find my iPhone app and got turn by turn directions to where she was at, which was pretty slick. And it never sent an email. She is on iOS 6 and I am on iOS 8.

It is a nice little feature.

If it were me, I would set up an iCloud account strictly for using find my iPhone and do not give out the password. This way it cannot be disabled on the device. The only way it would be disabled is if she turns the phone off. I would tell my kid, your under my roof and I am paying for your phone, these are the rules.

21. calcava89 macrumors newbie

Solution= don't spy on your daughter. Tell her you will use it

22. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Thanks for posting this. My experiences have always been identical to this. No emails unless I requested one to be sent when an Offline device was located.

I ran a test using an iPad that I knew was Offline to see what would happen and a minute after turning it ON, an email came to my Apple ID account verifying that it had been located; I watched the iPad activate on the map as it was located. (iOS 5, iOS 6, iOS 7, iOS 8.)

23. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

This. Restrict location services, share my location and accounts and pretty much the phone is locked down. Enable the option that disables the arrow in the status bar. God forbid something happens if the iPhone is on and has service, it can be found.

24. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

I noticed this change of sending emails also. I have two daughters that I check on from time to time and as soon as I got my iPhone 6 Find My iPhone started sending emails every time I checked on them. Not sure if this was part of iOS8 or one of the updates to Find My iPhone but I know for a fact it didn't do this before or they would have complained about it. They both know I check on them and they don't mind but they do mind the emails so my daughters, myself, and my wife all setup Find My Friends so we can all check on each other. I did have to tell the youngest daughter a couple of years ago that if she ever turned off her Find My iPhone I would deactivate her phone and she could buy her own as well as pay her own phone bill. It was never an issue again!

25. FotoDirk macrumors member

Apple increased the security of iCloud. So I'm assuming that you login with her Apple-id to locate her device. This means you are logging with with her Apple-id on a device that is not setup as her own. So that is why she is getting the Email as it looks like someone stole her credentials.

With find-my-iPhone both parties can trust each other and allow to see their location. No email is send in this case. But she can switch this feature off. We use this with all family members. Meaning everyone can see the location of everyone's device. That is what we call trust. Try it ;-)