Find my iPhone, found my iPhone. :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrei.barbuta, May 19, 2011.

1. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

Today I dropped my iPhone without noticing when I came out of the car. After 10 min when I got back, thinking I left it inside the car and forgot I realized it was gone. So, I went home, logged into MobileMe and used Find my iPhone. On the map it appeared near a place that I wasn't so clearly someone found it. A friend then went to the place While I stayed home in contact with him, telling him where to go. In the end an old guy had it, and of course gave it back. Since his pants started ringing given my alarm message from mobile me there was no point denying it. :))

Anyway, that's my story, happened today in Romania in a small town called Tulcea which is at the beginning at the Danube Delta.

After this I also made some test that may interest you. This is what I discovered.
    1. The location feature works without the SIM card inserted in the phone which is great. It also allows for alert messages so the phone rings.
    2. It doesn't work when the phone is off, which is logical. BUT it would be nice if you couldn't turn the phone off with you have a passcode. Only after you unlock would be a better idea since a thief can just turn the phone off.
    Of course this would pose a problem in other areas but it's worth considering. Also a remote power on of the iphone would be great. Maybe when the message alert is sent.

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

3. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Congrats dude!

And I agree with your suggestions.

BTW, how does the phone still send location data and messages if there is no SIM? Does it use some emergency line or Wi-Fi? How does that work?

4. andrei.barbuta thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm. I had Wi-Fi on. I just realized. Did another test just now. No SIM, no WI-FI. No go. Couldn't find it and couldn't send the message alert.

5. ikaveh macrumors regular

Tulcea is that anywhere near to the dreadful Dracula's castle, if so be warned of his ghost! :eek:

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

MobileMe is that good? man I gotta try that, Congrats !

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously it won't work or transmit it's location info without data.
    So no carrier data or wifi then no find my iphone feature.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Great story. What I would like to see as a future feature for Find my iPhone is the ability to put the iPhone into a passive mode to preserve the battery. If you lost it outside somewhere, and you didn't immediately find it, when the battery died you'd be SOL. I'd like the ability to put it into a passive mode where it only sends out short bursts of information to the network, so that you would be able to find it without the risk of it dying at the end of the day.

9. andrei.barbuta thread starter macrumors regular

Same country different region. :)

About the passive mode that a user wrote about, I think that it's a good idea. Another reason I can give is that if someone stole your iPhone and turned it off you can still track it.

10. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

you've got a good friend tehre - you stay safely at home while he goes out to hunt your phone.... and hopefully not get punched

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I agree.

"Hey buddy, I have located my iPhone in a pawn shop, can you go in and demand it back for me.?" lol.

13. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy