"Find My iPhone" Frustration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxRady, Dec 27, 2010.

1. MaxRady macrumors member

I am trying to setup the "Find my iPhone" application, but it's giving me the business! I am following the instructions on Apple's website to get my account rolling, but when i go to add a MobileMe account, i type my Apple ID in, and the password, and i get a "Device Not Supported - This iPhone is not qualified for free MobileMe service." message. I am running iOS 4.2.1, and i have a 3Gs. I know they have a strict 3-device limit, but i have not set this up on anything else! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You need to have an iPhone 4 got free find my iPhone.

3. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

isn't this service only free with the iPhone 4, iPad and newest iPod Touch Generation? (and not 3GS)

4. MaxRady thread starter macrumors member

Well...problem solved. Now i feel like an idiot...:)

5. SnowDX macrumors 6502

You just need to set up the account on an iPhone 4. Once you've set up the account on a 4, delete it from the 4 and you can then set it up on your 3GS and have your free Find My iPhone.

And yes this works. This is how I set up free find my iPhone on my daughter's 2nd gen iPod Touch.

So hopefully you know someone with an iPhone 4! (maybe this will work with a 4th gen iPod Touch and iPad as well, I can only verify it working with an iPhone 4)

6. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

but you should know that the number of iDevices you can activate on each iPhone 4 is limited. i don't remember if it's 3 or 5 devices.

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Just set it up on a 4th gen iTouch or iPhone and voila.

8. MaxRady thread starter macrumors member

Ok sounds good, I will give it a shot! Thanks!