Find My iPhone .. iPad .. iPod .. Whatever ... How is it useful !!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fhd4, Oct 9, 2011.

1. fhd4 macrumors member

I really liked this feature ... it sometimes makes me lazy ...

just go to me.com ... and sound your iPhone to find out that it was next to you ... !!

What is more !! lock ... wipe .. etc ... all nice ... BUT...

what is the use of showing the map?! ... unless you know the location of the map well ... you will not be able to guess where your iPhone is if you forgot or lost it somewhere other than "known" places to you on the map.

My point is ... why the app cannot get you the location GPS coordinates of the iPhone "in numbers" ... or why it cannot get you the directions from your current location to your lost "iPhone" ??!!

I think "Find My iPhone" will perform almost the same if it shows only the options ... lock ... sound ... wipe ... without the map ... :confused:

What do you think ?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I take it English isn't your first language, right?

3. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I use it heaps, and it is very powerful and very informitive. If my kids want to walk to a friends house we can track them to see they got there, if my wife wants to go to an iPhone launch ahead of me (Darn kids working lol) I can track her to ensure she gets there ok. If I'm running late my wife can quickly see where I am to see if I have left work, am stuck in traffic, or I am off getting a bottle of wine on the way home :)

Find my friends will replace most of this, but we still have the ability to lock, track and wipe our devices remotely if they are ever lost (Happened once when a friend took the sons phone by "Accident")

4. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Another useless comment in this forum.

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Well, by your own standard, you just added another useless comment as well in this forum :rolleyes:

6. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

It's not like it knows the phone is hidden behind the couch, under the pile of socks. Gps coordinates are likely only as accurate as the map is when zoomed in. The find my iPhone app pretending it is more accurate than it is will probably only lead you to spending all your time searching the wrong area and never finding your phone.

Why would gps coordinates be more useful than a live google maps instance? You can always use google maps to give you the coordinates, I guess...

7. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I use it on my iPhone and iPad and it works great.

But I have a few questions for those familiar with "Find my iPhone (or iPad or iPod)"

I have a friend whose son lost his iPod Touch. She says that she is "trying to set up the MobileMe info in order to find it."

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to set this up BEFORE you lose your device?

Another question, The "Find my iPhone (or iPad or iPod)" feature is now built into the OS right? Do you still need to install the App on your device?

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There has been a lot of success stories in getting the police to just follow the dot on the map and nab the thief. (I believe after they caught the iPhone thief, only to find out they were part of a robbery ring, REALLY made the cops happy :))Therefore, I think the map is pretty useful :)

9. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

It's good if your an Apple employee and leave iPhone prototypes in bars.

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, it has to be set up, before something happens to your device.

And no, no app needed.

11. neile45 macrumors regular

just make sure you have a passcode on your phone. I didn't lock my iPad 2, and the their was able to turn this feature off before i was able "to find it"

12. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I lost my iPhone once and realized it had fallen out of my jacket in a cab. I was able to actually see it moving on the map. Lol.

I locked the phone remotely, sent it a message with a number that cab driver could call me back at. We spoke, he remembered me and delivered my phone back to me!! Obviously I gave him a tip for his troubles.

So yes...Find my iPhone is useful.