Find My iPhone is free for ANY device running iOS 4.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SirDarren, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirDarren macrumors member

So I figured this would be common knowledge by now, but judging by the responses I got in this thread I guess some people don't know yet.

Find My iPhone is free for ANY devices running iOS 4.2, not just the newest generation devices.

If you read the footnote on this page it reads:
    I created my account on an iPhone 4 and now I have free Find My iPhone running on my 3GS. :)

2. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Not everyone has this luxury and the fact that you can't do this on a 3GS would technically mean its only free once you do this workaround.

3. SirDarren thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure what you mean by "luxury" - I don't own an iPhone 4. It doesn't have to be your own.

4. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I meant access to an iPhone 4 in general. Personal ownership or otherwise.

5. SirDarren thread starter macrumors member

Well maybe you'd consider it a luxury, but you really only need access to one for 2 minutes.

Hell, you could even ask somebody with an iPhone 4 to just do it for you as long you trust them.

6. daveyjones macrumors newbie

Well I didn't know about it until this post. Now I have it working on my 3GS as well. Thanks for posting!

7. SirDarren thread starter macrumors member

Glad I could help! :)

8. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

or even in an apple store?

add account -> mobile me -> 'unlock' the FMI feature for your appleID -> delete account

?

so, if this works, the OP did create a REALLY useful post, imo

9. SirDarren thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. That would also work.

10. JulianL macrumors 65816

Could people go into an Apple store and do it on a display device or do Apple set restrictions on their display units? Even if they do then, if someone is persuasive enough (just ask nicely) and if it was not too busy in the store I suspect that some kind store manager might unlock one for the 60 seconds needed to set up the account while watching carefully over the person's shoulder.

- Julian

11. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I'm not sure why you're fixated on the word luxury. By luxury i meant not everyone owns or knows someone with an iPhone 4. Thats all.

You could argue walking into an Apple store/retailer but not everyone has one in their area either.

All i'm saying is though it was a cinch for you, it won't necessarily be for others who own the 3G/3GS with no iPhone 4 in close proximity.

That said, its useful info for those who didn't already know.

12. JulianL macrumors 65816

Could people go into an Apple store and do it on a display device or do Apple set restrictions on their display units? Even if they do then, if someone is persuasive enough (just ask nicely) and if it was not too busy in the store then I suspect that some kind store manager might unlock one for the 60 seconds needed to set up the account while watching carefully over the person's shoulder. The store devices are all connected to the store WiFi and on the internet aren't they?

- Julian

13. SirDarren thread starter macrumors member

14. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

This issue was discussed in the original news thread about the release of 4.2 and Find My iPhone becoming free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.