Find My Iphone, issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esadb, Jan 16, 2011.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

So I was reading how Find my Iphone is now free and can be installed on 4.2.1 devices. Also I was reading tutorials on how you can make it work on non supported devices like the 3G and 3GS or lower firmwares.

Anyways I got a i4 running 4.1. My friend has a i4 running 4.2.1. I created the account on his iPhone. But what exactly is the point if I create the account on his iphone as now I can track his iPhone.. completely useless.. How the **** does that help me track my iPhone? All these guides stating how to get it for non support devices/firmwares.. what's all this jazz about?

Can someone explain this to me? Cause to my understanding dont you need that "Enable Find my Iphone" option in order for it to track your device??

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your phone has to be on 4.2.1 too.
    Doesn't work with 4.1

3. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Lmao, so what are all those tutorials for then? Like this makes no sense..

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure what tutorials mention or if you confused the two.
    You can setup the free mobile me account on another device but you can't track it unless your device is on 4.2.1.

5. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

6. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

that tutorial you linked to clearly says that you still need to be running 4.2 on the older device for it to work.

there is no point in setting up a free mobile.me account if you don't have a device with 4.2 on it, you just need a free mobile.me account to use Find My iPhone, the free mobile.me account and Find My iPhone are not the same thing, Find My iPhone is a feature of the free mobile.me account that works on devices with 4.2.

7. wharzhee macrumors 6502

the whole reason behind it- does not serve u, as u dont own a device that is lower than an ip4.
    so u wont understand at all cos the tutorial is not aimed for u.

the whole problem is if i own an ip3gs, and i want to run find my iphone, i basically cannot because with a 3gs - i cannot register a free mobile me account, inwhich only the ip4 and ipad can.
    therefore if i had a friend or someone who owns one, i could register a free mobile me account and then run that free account on my iphone. (and ta-da i can run "find my iphone" on my 3gs) note: i believe you can only register a mximum of 3 free account on one of devices.

that is the whole point.

another point is that: find my iphone had been, and still is, a paid service and it had been working on the ip way before 4.2
    but inorder for u to use it _free_, u are forced to upgrade to a 4.2

8. wharzhee macrumors 6502

to clarify a statement u made,

1. u use ur friends device to register for a free mobileme account.
    2. u remove that free mobileme account (that is registered on ur friends device)
    3. u run that free mobileme account on ur iphone (3g)

the find my iphone runs on the free mobileme account basis, not on which phone u register.
    u can use that "same" free mobileme account on ur ip3g, ip4, ipad, latest ipod and use mobileme.com to track them all with the same account.
    (note: u dont need to register accounts for every device u own, u use the same account, jus think of all the ids and password u would have to remember jus to track them all if u did.)

9. elistan macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, iOS 3.1.3 can set up a MobileMe account only via a MobileMe email address, as opposed to iOS 4.2 which can set up a MobileMe account via an Apple ID email address as well. MobileMe accounts are @me.com, while Apple ID accounts can be anything. My first-gen 2G iPhone assumes any MobileMe credentials I put in has an email address ending in @me.com and fails to authenticate the account.

I assume a 3G or 3GS phone running 4.2 would work fine. I don't have one to test with though.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are correct.
    Only 4.2.1 and higher firmware will let you setup mobile me using your Apple ID and thus getting the free find my iphone feature.
    The OP still has difficulty understanding that:)