Find my iPhone Miracle!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teknikal90, Feb 4, 2015.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Okay I love Find My iPhone!

Went home from work yesterday, had to stop by a shopping centre, parked on the road next to the building.
    When I got out, it was pouring rain out, and me, without an umbrella, ran back to the car and quickly jumped in. Fine.

Went home and spent the rest of my night until one point I realized, where the heck is my phone? Thought I'd left it in my office but nope, I remember texting at the shops.

Went on find my iPhone and saw it was in the middle of the road, next to the shopping centre!!!!!!!!

Drove back to the shops, still raining, with a flashlight.. and sure enough, there it was, in the middle of the road, soaking wet, right next to where I had parked my car!!! Incredible!! I don't use a case on my iPhone, and in 5 years of owning an iPhone without a case I never had an iPhone fall out of my pocket as I climb into a car. But I guess the slippery-ness and the larger size of the iPhone 6 made it super easy for it to just fall out of my already slippery suit pants as I was running.

Anyway, the phone was scuffed but the screen was intact, the speakers stopped working though (rain??). The earpiece, not the bottom loudspeaker. BUT I left it in a bag of rice overnight and this morning it worked again! Fully functional!

bought an Apple Leather case this morning to cover up the scuff and all is well.

I have Apple Care + but I had bought the phone when I was in Australia, and although they say that iPhones have 'international warranty' they lie. The phone cannot be replaced in Canada - it's a different model number apparently.

Anyway, just wanted to share my awesome Find My iPhone story. What's yours??

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Great result!! (*Not the scuff)
    I don't have the feature switched on in the interests of conserving battery power, but tales like this push me closer to toggling.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I honestly don't know that I have ever noticed a difference in battery with it on versus off. I won't say that it has no effect, but I would say we are talking minutes, at best, on a day's worth of use.

4. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Find my iPhone saved my wife also recently. She got home the other day from running errands and discovered her phone was missing. I ran Find my iPhone and it appeared her phone was switched off because nothing came back. I setup the device lock with a message to call my phone if found. About 20 mins later somebody from Target called us saying the phone had been found in the parking lot dead. The clerk plugged it in and got it charged up enough to see the lock message. My wife has a bad habit of putting her phone in the cup holder of the stroller and figures as she was loading the baby it fell out. We went and picked it up and there was not a scratch on it which I thought was a miracle as it was laying in a parking lot for god knows how long. Find my iPhone is a great feature that works.

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

It doesn't use any battery. It only requests location when you yourself request it.

6. Chatter macrumors 6502a

There is no "battery saving" with it off. Your phone only pings when you enable it.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Find My iPhone doesn't consume battery power unless/until you log in to iCloud and start asking your iPhone's location. If the feature is just on but you're not actively tracking it, then it won't send data.

The only exception to this is if you have the option set for the phone to automatically send a location ping when the battery is low. But that only happens when the battery is about to die anyway. as a just-in-case.

8. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I don't care too much about the scuff. with the case on, I can hardly see it.
    I just wish I would have bought the case earlier. It's now so much nicer to hold this phone.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I should have expanded. I've never used the feature so cannot say whether it drains the battery or not, I just assumed that it might.

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

You got really lucky, one time i lost my 5 and it was found on find my iPhone a block away. But it was safe :D

11. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Totally understand. I would strongly suggest you use it - and don't lose that phone again! :D

12. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Make sure that thing is dry...or you will run into gremlins that will render your iPhone a brick. Great that you found it!

13. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Congratulations. I too had a similar experience. Only my phone sat a full night on the road side at -4 F and the switched on when the temperature was 2F the next day. The find my phone is a very effective tool.

14. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Congrats on finding your phone, but this is the part that blew me away. Maybe I'm just too addicted to my phone, but I think the only time I can go hours without touching my phone is when I'm asleep;) Had I dropped my phone while jumping into the car I'm sure I'd probably notice 5 minutes later when I tried to pull it out at a red light or something.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

That's a little disturbing; what if you're traveling in a foreign country and your phone dies? Apple should be willing to help you wherever you are. They're an international company.

The times I've been to Canada I always assumed I'd be able to just visit an Apple store if my phone died. I guess I was wrong.

16. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

ha! thats funny although i cannot condone using your phone in the car!
    I went home, got changed, played guitar then watched a hockey game whilst cooking. And as i was waiting for the chicken to cook i thought id check my instagram.....and boom haha

----------

disturbing to me too. im actually quite pissed off about it as I was reassured by the australian apple store person that this phone's warranty will work in canada 'just like' if it was bought there..
    theyre able to replace the screen and the battery, but nothing other than that.