Find my iPhone missing a critical feature

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by whickeywhickey, Oct 1, 2013.

1. whickeywhickey macrumors newbie

So i just tested this.
    iCloud -> iPad in Lost Mode
    iPad -> DFU Restore to stock iOS 7.0.2 -> connect wifi and go to activation screen

iCloud doesn't seem to be tracking the device whether or not the restored iPad is connected to Wi-Fi. This doesn't make sense, why not send the device's location the moment the device is connected to the internet?

2. itsmemuffins, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Find my iPhone is only useful if you lose your phone. If it's stolen its useless.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

Isn't doing a DFU restore going to erase the device? Apple says that erased iPhones can't be tracked (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5668; "Please note that when you erase a device, you will no longer be able to locate it.").

However, since iOS7, activation lock won't let anyone but the owner activate the device.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The sooner people realise this the better.

Tracking a phone that has been stolen is very difficult. The idea behind these services is to help you protect your data, rather than recover your device.

5. whickeywhickey thread starter macrumors newbie

It discourages people from stealing your phone
    once you enable lost mode, anyone that stole your phone can't use it at all, even after wiping it and restoring via DFU

----------

Yes it erases the device, but it needs to activate via iCloud in order to start using it again since device is tied to the account. I figured, the moment you try to connect to wifi, have the iPhone phone home to iCloud and give the location.

6. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Find my iphone should always be on aslong as there is battery charge even if the phone is off or in dfu it should maintain this one feature turing the device into a glorified beacon.

Only able to wipe the device by plugging it into a registered itunes account on a computer and selecting to deactivate and erase.

This should allow you when you cant find your phone to lock it and track it. Soon as its locked it shouldent even respond until unlocked by icloud turning everything of allowing for great battery life for te beacon which would use very little energy.

Do this and you can co-ordinate live with the police and catch a thief wit your phone.

However find my iphone has to be far more accurate for this. I tested other day as left my phone at home and wasnt sure. I touch the map at all and reset the signal and the pointer bounces around several places.

This is just one more thing needing an ovsrhaul