Find my iPhone not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gosabres1984, Nov 23, 2010.

1. gosabres1984 macrumors regular

I updated my iPhone 4 and iPad to 4.2 today and then downloaded the find my iPhone app for both devices, I read that the service is free for iPhone 4 users who upgraded, however when I try to use the service on both devices it says that I need to enter my mobile me account info, I don't have mobile me because this was supposed to be free right? When I enter my iTunes account user name and password it says I am not a mobile me customer.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks.

2. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

You need to set up your (free) mobile me account using your iPhone4 or iPad.

3. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

And do folks here happen to know if this works if you are sharing an iTunes account with your wife (both with iPhone 4)? Could we track both our phones?

AND.. I saw a couple places on the interwebs that you have to have PUSH turned on for this feature to work? Dangit! I don't WANT push turned on! I'm on the tiny-sad-wee-little 200 meg data plan. The way I'm set up now, my phone never ever grabs internet data without me asking it to. Why couldn't they make the feature work via a special SMS?

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

5. ddcrane macrumors newbie

I tried to create a free Apple ID in the settings of my iPhone 3GS and it says the device does not qualify. I also tried using my iTunes AppleID to no avail. Thanks! dc

6. iBryton macrumors regular

Okay I didn't read other responses but all you have to do to login to mobile.me is enter your Apple ID or iTunes account information. Then you can go from there!

7. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

The free account does not apply to those that only have a 3GS. To get the free account, you must have an i4.

8. ddcrane macrumors newbie

Great to know, that answers my question.

9. jeremystitt macrumors newbie

Interested in others responses to this. I share an iTunes account with a family member and wonder if I can create a new MobileMe account to track the 2nd phone with?

10. cdte92 macrumors newbie

works fine with multiple ipads/iphones

I have an iPad and an iPhone 4. My wife has an iPad. All connected with the same apple id. Find my iPhone sees them all as separate machines and I can track them all.

Re the other query about using your apple id in the mobile me section - it must be set up as an email address and not just any format. There are some links on the Apple site but if you log into iTunes using your current id you can change the format so it is an email address - then you can use the new format on the Mobile Me registration. Worked for me anyway!

11. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I had tried the trial of MobileMe and cancelled it. When I tried to register for the find my iPhone it wouldn't let me use my Apple ID. I had to track down the old email (thanks timemachine) to find out what my username was on Me.com so I could sign up.

After it finally worked I keep getting notices saying the username cannot connect to me.com. This is not working so well for me.