"Find my iPhone" on iPod touch is useless!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pizz, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pizz macrumors regular

The find my iPhone feature is great but if I'm correct doesn't it need a wifi connection or a gps chip for it to work? In that case making it useless if you lost your iPod touch or iPad. Unless it happened to be lost in range of a wifi area! ::confused:

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I doubt they intended "find my iPhone" to be of much use on an iPod Touch. Even if you have wi-fi, it depends on the wi-fi source location being known. If the hotspot hasn't been registered with the agency, it won't find it.

The Touch has no gps chip either.

3. jhjerlin macrumors newbie

I do agree that the feature is a bit lost on devices without a gps chip or even a 3g chip since the wifi needs to be hooked up and so on and so forth. But should the device have a signal you can send a message to it, set a passcode lock and also wipe the data on it.
    Not too bad, I think. :)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It really depends on how many wifi access points are in the area you're in. Where I live they're all over the place and my old original iPhone would pinpoint me fairly accurately (probably within 100 feet if I remember correctly).

5. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

I see no choice but for apple to put gps chips in ALL their devices. Which is probably where they're headed

6. mus0r macrumors regular

Yeah! Let's have them jack the cost up even more because some people are paranoid or careless! :rolleyes:

7. pizz thread starter macrumors regular

Na, those gps chips probably cost Apple pennies each. Prices are dropping all the time. Plus what better way for Apple to track all their products and users and carry out their evil plan for world domination!

8. Brradley macrumors member

It's better than nothing. If they didn't even offer it you'd probably moan that it didn't exist! :p

9. chocboy macrumors newbie

It'd be more sensible to add in a 3G Mobile Broadband service to every device, just like the iPad. So you'd have the 32 GB iPod Touch for $300, and a 32 GB iPod Touch WiFi+3G for 350-400ish. That way, you could have internet wherever you are, or when you need it. And if Apple was smart, they'd make it activatable from the computer.

I think, though, that since 3G on the iPad can be activated anytime, that means that the device is constantly connected to a 3G network; it's just that you can't get internet or app access to it without paying. So this means that Apple could allow the device to connect via 3G without paying for Find my iPod Touch- and if you want to use 3G fully, then buy a data pack.

10. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

just cause it costs apple pennies doesn't mean it will cost us just pennies. they would charge us a lot more.

11. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

"Find my iPhone/Pod/Pad" has never been a geolocation service. It's a lost and found service that optimistically bets that whoever finds your iDevice will take it in range of WiFi and be willing to return it.

12. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I think this will be useful only when the person who took the iPod takes the unlocked iPod touch into a WiFi and tries to use it. Come on, a GPS chip would've been useful in the 4th generation.

13. OBAMANIZER macrumors newbie

OBAMANIZER

Yeah it's not "better than nothing." No GPS + no 3G/cellular connection means you've pretty much lost your iPod for good. If someone stole it, there's no way they'd be stupid enough to leave WiFi on. Even if no one picks it up, the iPod won't automatically connect to available WiFi connections or used password protected ones.

14. CFreymarc Suspended

That is why it is called "Find my iPhone" and not "Find my iPod Touch Since I Was Too Cheap to Buy An iPhone."