Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Just went to find my iPhone and it's showing offline?

I've not set up iCloud because I don't want it to back up my phone, I always back up on my MacBook.

Any idea why it would show offline, or is it still tracked to my iPhone 4 which I upgraded a month ago?

Also... how do I set up my MacBookPro to it as well, as I couldn't find that option?

Thanks

More importantly...

Out of interest... How does this actually work, because all I get when it was working was the road and that was outside the correct road as well. What do you do, knock on 40 houses doors and ask if someone stole your phone? Am I just being pessimistic here or is it actually pointless, because it's not pinpointing where the phone is.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
you need to have the find my iphone app installed for it to work, and yes it works well.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I tried it the other day and it only showed the devices that have iOS7 installed. My iPod touch has iOS 6 installed and it could not be located.

You can access in Safari

https://www.icloud.com

I don't have Maverick installed so I'm not sure if there is a setup on your Mac. The only thing that I can see is in Sys Pref. under iCloud and that's for Find my Mac.

I have my iPhone backed up to my computer and to iCloud. There is no harm in doing both. But you might be right… I just looked at my iPod and it's not backed up to the Cloud and for some reason now you don't see it in Find my iPhone app.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Find My iPhone only work with iCloud now?

I do have it installed on 5S. It was just the back up from the ip4 which carried it over. So that does show up fine for me on there.

My MBP is on the old Snow Leopard not Lion so that's a possibility Mo?

Still curious to know how a pinpoint of a surrounding road gives me any chance of finding it again, should the need arise?
How does that work?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's more to show you if you lost it perhaps. You can see a general area, usually still fairly close to where it really is, and then activate lost sound on it so that you can hear it and find it that way.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So it won't pinpoint a house on a map if stolen then?
It will usually be at least close if not just right. But in locations with dense housing or an apartment complex or something like that it might be hard to know for sure.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Yeh that makes sense. Thanks

If anyone has success stories of finding in built up areas, be interesting to hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.