Find my iPhone saves the day!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesgf, Dec 6, 2013.

1. jamesgf macrumors member

Today my daughter had her iPhone 5c stolen out of her backpack on the bus home from school. Fired up find my iphone and got the location and took multiple screenshots. Called the police and when they got to my house they had me email them the screenshots of the location. When they got there they called me and had me play a sound, found the apartment the phone was in and the thief coughed it up immediately. Had the phone back in a matter of hours. Got lucky thanks to find my iphone, and the fact that my daughter had a pass code set, and was unable to disable location services or iCloud. The thief did manage to call 911 a bunch of times though...

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

Awesome news!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That's great that you got it back and didn't try to retrieve it yourself. Well done!

4. jamesgf thread starter macrumors member

I figured it was a goner, so glad she had a passcode, if not I bet we wouldn't have had a chance to get it back. I still can't believe it worked out so easily.

----------

No way I was going to try to get it myself, it was in a really shady neighborhood, less that a mile from my house though.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Awesome, I believe that is the first time that I have heard the police get that involved. Glad it worked out so well for you. Since I assume it was a kid that took it, I hope the police gave them a good lecture.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

that is great... Glad you got your property back.

Did you press charges ?

7. jamesgf thread starter macrumors member

It was another kid (13) so I didn't press charges. Kids do stupid things. Had it been an adult I would have (the officer insisted that if they were over 18 we should). I think he have them a good scare as it would have been a felony since it was over $500.

Edit: He also mentioned that they have recovered many stolen iPhones this way.

8. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Good. Kid or Grandpa, they should get in trouble for stealing somebodies personal phone, much less, a 500 dollar device. Just...stinkin...remember..to..turn Find my iPhone of when you sell the...freakin'...iPhone! :D;)

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Good thing you live far from that bad area:D

10. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You say he stole it, maybe your daughter dropped it and he picked it up. Just because a person is in possession of an item doesn't mean they stole it. I'm glad you had your property returned.

11. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Good to hear your daughter got her phone back.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Accept he admitted it. If you find an iPhone, just hand it in at the local police station. Easy.

Glad you got it back.

13. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

+1

14. AFDoc macrumors 68030

No where in OP's post did he say the "thief" admitted to stealing it. Did he steal it? Probably, but words are thrown around too easily and those words have consequences.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

And what are the consequences for an un-named thief on an anonymous forum?
    None.
    People who find iPhones in backpacks should be named and shamed IMO.

16. jamesgf thread starter macrumors member

When the cop got to the apartment and called me, he had me play the sound remotely. He told me as soon as I did that all the lights went out in the apartment, then the phone was turned off. Not really the actions if someone who found a phone on the ground is it?

17. jamesgf thread starter macrumors member

LOL. We live on the other side of the tracks(highway in this case) so to speak. This city is strange in that you have sketchy areas sort of dispersed in neighborhoods rather than one central area where it is bad.

18. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

+1

What a punk kid!

Seriously..

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Very happy for you.

What really surprised me is the cop following Find My Phone indications ....

20. okwhatev macrumors 6502

Find my iPhone saves the day!

i was robbed at gunpoint for my iPhone 5. Luckily, it was jailbroken and had a tweak in it that Prevented the phone from being powered off. I still don't know why Apple hasn't made this a feature of the operating system. it seems like a no-brainer. Anyway the guy who stole it probably freaked out when he saw that he couldn't turn the phone off and threw it off the side of the freeway. The cops actually recovered it by me sending the find my phone sound to it and them searching the bushes. Astoundingly phone was completely unharmed, but it was then subject to two weeks of forensic fingerprinting which ruined the phone's screen. sigh. luckily i had insurance.

21. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Jesus where the hell do you people live?

Also, how did it ruin the screen? They just gave it back to you ruined after finding it in perfect shape without offering to replace it?

22. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I had my iPhone 5 stolen in October, it still has yet to be turned on as I haven't gotten an email yet from Apple alerting me it was turned on. Blah.:mad:

23. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Happy ending to a bad experience.

Happy days.

24. garysauctions macrumors member

Did the alleged "finder" do the proper thing and turn it in?

Not to mention the numerous calls made to 911 by the alleged "finder".

The OP did say that he had the option to press charges or not, so that would indicate that the police thought it was stolen and not found.

Personally I would have pressed charges

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie