Find My iPhone service doesn't work outside the network that the phone is on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Mar 13, 2011.

1. patent10021, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

So I'm searching for my wife's iPhone and it can't be found.

This is our second time testing it when she's outside Japan and the network can't resolve the location.

Her phone is on and I'm sure the phone can roam too. Even if the phone isn't roaming can't the Apple service get the location of the phone from its GPS?

I guess the Find My iPhone service doesn't work outside the network that the phone is on hey?

That's pretty lame.

2. HitchHykr, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I guess it can get the location from the GPS but how would it communicate it back if it doesn't have cell service?

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

It needs to be in a location with service, and the data service needs to be operational (and allowed when Roaming if needed) because the GPS will track the coordinates no matter what, but it needs an active Data connection for it to transmit the location to Apples servers.

4. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Well that's pretty disappointing. Say you're loved ones are traveling and something happens.

5. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

Dude, the iPhone is a great device, but contrary to what Jonathan Ive is saying, iDevices can't do magic. Please think.

7. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

It's no different for any carrier... ever.

If you dial up 911, though, and the phone is broadcasting then the E911 services will be able to work with cell carriers, and find the phone. But if the phone isn't connected to a tower then no phone is going to be able to do anything since it has no data to transmit to any company. This isn't used to find lost devices, though. It's only able to be accessed in an emergency situation where life/death is a factor.

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

The Find my iPhone service uses data. When you roam off your home network, the default setting is that data roaming is disabled. That is why you can make calls but not track it.

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You could call your wife and ask her to turn on data roaming.:D
    Of course, you probably aren't gonna like the looks of your bill, when you get it.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bingo.
    How is it going to send you back the info without beeing connected on the internet?
    It needs cellular data or to be connected to wifi.