Find my iPhone. Silly & idea!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewGenAdam, Jun 17, 2009.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Silly: the alert ringer changes with the iPhone volume, so if it's turned down, the ringer won't ring. Makes it a little less useful, I think.

Idea: (mine) I'd like a "remote lock" function, whereby you could lock the phone from your me account and set the password. Not quite going the whole hog and wiping it, but just making your stuff a little safer for now.

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

On the WWDC they said that even if your iPhone is on mute, it will ring.

... I think this is a difference between Microsoft and Apple ;)

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/10...e-3g-s-oleophobic-screen-find-my-iphone-live/

4. Shyfe macrumors member

How about an option that turns it to max volume, and plays a sound file saying "I have a stolen iPhone," locking the iPhone in every way with the only way to disable it is to destroy it or drain it of its batteries. That should deter thieves.

5. Narco220 macrumors regular

Its just a gimmick to get more mobileme subscribers :D

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Indeed, it would make more sense to have it tied into the carrier rather than some other MobileMe novelty.

7. DSG macrumors regular

@xUKHCx

Sounds like you probably haven't tried it - so maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive.

Just tried it with my 2G and, whatever Apple said and for whatever reason, it just vibrated.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

MobileMe is $5/mo if you buy the $60 package off Amazon.com. So, thats cheaper and better than any carrier would offer you. I guarantee that. Plus you get the other MMe features.

9. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe carriers already have similar technologies at their disposal. They can find a phone's location by the cells it's connected to, and also send it messages I suppose. I think some can also lock phones.

Find My iPhone puts the ability to do this in the consumer's hand. It's fun!

10. DSG macrumors regular

Meant to add my own gripe - to use the feature it has to be activated on the iPhone. Unless you have had the foresight (or, like me, the curiosity) then you probably won't have switched it on before you lose your phone and need it. Its good to be able to turn it on/off but it would have been good to have a dialog box alerting you to the fact it is turned off each time you restart the phone.

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I definitely think it's there to push people towards MobileMe too but I don't see a big downside to it.

Find My iPhone is great feature and MobileMe offers a bunch of great services that are very useful. However, I wish Apple would make a "Light" version of MobileMe that just pushes e-mail/iCal data and limited harddrive space.

12. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, for the minority of core users that's a non-issue, if a little annoying.
    But for the majority, who don't dig through every single settings page etc, if they do end up losing their phone, it would be annoying.