Find My iPhone Vs Battery Drain.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by peanutismint, Feb 5, 2013.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding whether to leave my location services enabled all the time or not. In case my phone is ever lost or stolen, I want to enable and use the Apple 'find my device' or whatever-it's-called feature of iCloud and/or Fork Ltd's similar app 'Prey'. The only problem is that I imagine both of these apps require 'location services' to be enabled for either of them to actually do any good. However, I have until now kept my location services switched off as it seems to drastically improve battery life when I do so...

Is this a bit of a trade-off? Or am I imagining the battery drain? Ideally the location services would only 'page' the satellites to discover their location once every day or so unless required for maps etc, but it seems like the little location icon pops up all the time when the services are switched on.....

What do people think?

2. Caseynd macrumors regular

Caseynd

keep it on, never know when you gonna get mugged :(

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When not in use, Find My iPhone does not drain the battery.

4. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hahah well this is the thing - personally I'd probably rather get stabbed than live with the knowledge that I let some ruffian take my property, but that's me.... But battery life is already a joke on the iPhone (not complaining as such, have learned to live with charging every day now....:mad:) so I really dislike the idea of giving even a little bit more of the precious juice to satellites every day! :D

I know 'Find My iPhone' itself probably doesn't - it's all the other apps that for some reason keep that little location icon flashing. Perhaps I'll experiment with having location on for a day and see what it does to my battery....