Find my iPhone without Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAAPL, Sep 29, 2010.

1. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

Hello. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm loving all features of MobileMe. My brother might be getting an iPhone 4 as well. My question is, can I enable "Find My iPhone" on his phone through my MobileMe account, while blocking access to my mail? Basically, if he loses his iPhone, I want to be able to track it down, but I don't want him looking at my email without a password. The possibility of theft/loss is one major roadblock in the decision, and I'm thinking Find My iPhone will at least provide a little peace of mind.

Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not put a passcode lock so noone can see anything in your phone not just email?

3. Slucko macrumors member

You can do this, add the mobile me account though just only enable find my iPhone, I do this right now with my old iPhone.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

MobileMe does not sync mail, only mail settings. He will, however, have access to your contacts and calendar.

5. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

So the OP's brother is going walk around with a phone that he can't use because he doesn't have the password for it?

OP, why don't you suggest to your brother to get MobilMe? You can get MobilMe cheaper than the retail price.

6. iAAPL thread starter macrumors regular

iAAPL

I've been playing around with that on my iPhone. Right now, if I disable mail and then re-enable it, there is no login required. It just loads all of my mail up again. I don't know if it still does this after reboot or if it will be different with initial set up. Does anyone know anything about this?

I don't have anything to hide in my inbox, and I trust that he wouldn't even care to enable it, but the paranoia that someone else could be reading my email would drive me crazy.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I get it now. Sorry.:)
    He wants his brother to use the same mobileme account as him to track it but not view his emails.
    Damn speed reading:D

8. iAAPL thread starter macrumors regular

iAAPL

I know, but he has no use for any of the other features.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

An app called phonetracker exists to do this. However, it isn't as good on battery life as mobile me.