Find My iPhone - Without Mobile Me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BNZ1, Jun 17, 2009.

1. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Has anyone seen any articles about this feature giving away how it works? Is there a potential for a non-mobileme version of this?

I have sent apple a feature request for something like "mobile me lite" that is cheap but only does the find my iphone feature as I have no need for the other features.

2. Pooshka macrumors 65816

3. BNZ1 thread starter macrumors regular

4. osin macrumors 6502

I don't think there will be a "light" version only because the idea of having "Find My iPhone" attached to .me service is simple: Apple wants to attract more people to its paid service!

What Apple can do is to lower the price...

5. KoolMan macrumors newbie

i have heard that turning off the phone stops it from finding it. its this true?

wouldn't just taking the SIM out not let you track it?
    there is also an option in setting of MobileMe to disable this, and you wont be able to find it on your map.

i really want this but a free version would be best.

6. Bookat macrumors newbie

loopt

What about loopt? It lets your friends know where you are and the app can run the background. It is free and as long as you have a friend "loopt" with you then you can find your phone.

How about that?

7. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think the outbound loopt ping has a max 24 hour without resetting. Might work if you use it fast enough.

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Back when it first came out, the last location was reported, even if the iPhone was turned off. However, now it reports no location found.

9. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I paid for Undercover... it sucks. You can send messages to your phone and stuff, but the person has to open it to track it. And even then, your lucky if it's an accurate location.