Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
My wife and I use Find My to keep in touch with each other when on the road. Just today I opened the Find My app on my iPhone and I’m not sure what happened but I now have to select her name from the people list to see her location on a pop up map.

Previously whenever I opened the app it would automatically display her location on the default map. We both only have each other on the people list so it would default to that person. Now it open with just my location showing and not her’s. Both running 17.5.1

I’ve checked all the settings I could think of including ensuring she is still on my favorite list. HELP!

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
My wife and I use Find My to keep in touch with each other when on the road. Just today I opened the Find My app on my iPhone and I’m not sure what happened but I now have to select her name from the people list to see her location on a pop up map.

Previously whenever I opened the app it would automatically display her location on the default map. We both only have each other on the people list so it would default to that person. Now it open with just my location showing and not her’s. Both running 17.5.1

I’ve checked all the settings I could think of including ensuring she is still on my favorite list. HELP!
I'm wondering if Apple made a server-side change on the Find My network. If they did then it may override a client-side feature.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I'm wondering if Apple made a server-side change on the Find My network. If they did then it may override a client-side feature.
It’s always possible with Apple. But I noticed on her iPad that Fine My shows me on the main map with my photo icon every time I open the app. It’s just not working like that on my iPhone for her location.

Reactions: Iwavvns

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Is she nearby? Mine shows my wife & my mother, wife is here in the house & Mom is about 9 miles south. Others in my group only appear if I tap on their names.

Reactions: whsbuss

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Currently she is about 100 miles away. I don’t remember this happening when she was away before… I know when she is across town, maybe 15 miles, the map will initially show my location but then relocate to where she is. Does that happen for you? You said you mom’s location only shows when you tap her name in the people list.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Mom shows up by default “usually” because she lives in the next town over. But if she’s traveling, I have to tap on her name (as I do for daughters that live in different states).

I think what you’re experiencing is normal.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Update: I deleted the app, rebooted the iPhone not a restart, downloaded the app again and now it shows my wife’s location as soon as I open it on the main map. Strange but now it’s operating like before.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I've been having lots of issues with Find My. It is very slow to update. Like you said previously, I have to tap on people before it will update their location. And sometimes, it won't update with the correct location.

Reactions: whsbuss

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I've been having lots of issues with Find My. It is very slow to update. Like you said previously, I have to tap on people before it will update their location. And sometimes, it won't update with the correct location.
Yes I’ve seen that as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.