Find My Mac OS X Lion is not working.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lgwells1, Oct 8, 2011.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

When I sign into iCloud.com to locate my devices my Macbook Pro is listed as offline. Which it is not, because I am using it right now, and earlier to view iCloud. I even turned off my Firewall to see if that helped and it did not. Can anyone help point me in the right way to fix this, I want to be able to recover my Macbook Pro incase someone snags it.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I thought FindMyMac wasn't released yet... I could be wrong.

3. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I can turn off Location Services, and when I do I get a warning that doing so will result in my Mac will no longer be able to be found with Find My Mac.

4. vsinaswee macrumors newbie

No luck here either

I thought my "find my mac" wasn't working cause I was trying to locate it from the same computer but even from another pc there's no luck.

ugh... iCloud stop telling me that my mac's offline! I can see the dang thing and it's on fight in front of me with wifi on and everything!!

5. cheesygrin, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

cheesygrin macrumors member

I have the same problem with my MacBook. My iMac is picked up and located at home fine - my MacBook right in front of me here at work is reported offline. :(

UPDATE: I just tried sending a "Find my Mac" message to my MacBook (even though it was reported offline) and when it came through a few minutes later, the MacBook was then reported as online and the location updated. Worth a try!

6. bryan85, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

bryan85 macrumors regular

7. vsinaswee macrumors newbie

eh?

8. vsinaswee macrumors newbie

Called apple just now and they said they they're having a problem with their iCloud service. something about too many people "jumping on" at the same time or something.

Anyway, I guess it'll be a bit of a wait before apple sorts it all out.

Hope nobody loses their mac between now and then!

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It didn't work for me after upgrade to 10.7.2 but when I disabled location service (in Security) and enabled it, disabled Find My Mac and enabled it, now it works.

10. EMJR macrumors newbie

Works for me

Finds my iphone 4 finds my MBP
    Did it the day it came out took a little time but it works great.
    And I just did it to make sure I am not lying.:D

11. AFPoster macrumors 65816

It works for me, I don't know if I'm lucky or something but it finds my iPhone 4 and Mac just fine.

12. vsinaswee macrumors newbie

still not working for me... might be because I'm in the uk?

13. illidan155 macrumors member

find my mac work its you guys that don't know how to use it you need to enabled the airport of your mac and there must be some wifi connection around and the computer need to be connected to the internet

14. vsinaswee macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure I'm using it right. The location service is working for other apps. I can see my location in the date and time preferences window.

wifi is on and iCloud turned on. tell me. what am I doing wrong then?

15. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

iMac Not Working-Support for iCloud?

Do I call Apple Care for this or is there a different support system for iCloud?

16. vsinaswee macrumors newbie

I imagine you can just call apple about it.

if you find anything useful please post it here!

good luck anyways...

17. Ryujin macrumors newbie

mine not working

I'm having the same problem with my MBP. It appears as offline in icloud... Does anyone have further informations?

18. mike423 macrumors regular

mike423

Good News!!!!

This work for your iPhone iPod iPad and macbook.

Just go to your wifi settings on all of your devices then go to DNS and change it to 8.8.8.8 then apply the settings and your done.

Hope this helped.
    Cheers
    Mike....:apple:

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

20. Twitko macrumors newbie

some progress

Hi, I am quite new to Mac's world (I own MBA just for 10 days or so) but let me share some details about my progress in this issuse .. and please sorry for my English

I own Iphone (4, OS 5.x) and MBA (Lion). I have tried to localize my Iphone and MBA via Iphone's app Find My Iphone .... everything was set as it should be .. as far as I know ... it was OK for Iphone but not for MBA. Both devices use the same Wifi for Internet connection. Meanwhile Iphone was detected quite correctly, for MAC I got message "can not be detected".

I supposed the problem was somewhere in my Wifi (maybe my location is not properly set, I don't know .... ), but for my surprise iStumbler app was able to localize my wifi quite exactly... Strange. iStumbler is able to localize my position ... Iphone did the same job, but MAC did not ...

Then .. I tried to use Tethering instead using my home Wifi - sorry maybe I don't know the proper English terms - it means use my Iphone and its 3G abilities to connect my computer to Internet .. something like a local Wifi point. Iphone is connected to Internet via my 3G provider and it provides Wifi and MBA detects it and use Iphone for its Internet connection.

Immediately after I did the first tethering connection, I was able to see and localize my Mac. I got proper location, was able to see it on the map, I am able to send message to it etc .... even I switched off this tethering service and went back to my home network setting, Mac is still visible and available for "Where is my .. " service. I don't know what actually happened somewhere in CLouds, but something changed and everything works fine (for now)

TW.

21. bartonfink macrumors newbie

Possible solution…

I've resolved this problem checking that:

1. Location services are activated (System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy)

and

2. re-activating Find my Mac (System Preferences > iCloud > Find my Mac), that, for some reason, was deactivated.

Hope it helps.