Find My Mac vs other protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dekema2, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I'm a college freshman and I'm wondering if I would need to get extra protection on top of Find My Mac to keep it safe. My school has lockers/safes for this kind of thing but I called Apple the other day asking if they did engraving (since I was aware laser engraving is done on products ordered through the website), and he said it would void the warranty as if I should've know. Okay, that wasn't a big deal, it's :apple:. I would like to know a way that I can keep it protected without Sharpie permanent-permanent marker however.

2. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Maybe this:
    https://preyproject.com

And add your detail to login screen screen
    http://www.maketecheasier.com/add-custom-message-to-mac-login-screen/

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Best advice at University, don't leave your laptop in a situation where it could get swiped.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'm on the paranoic side. As security measures, I do:
    - I written my e-mail and phone on the aluminium surface. I used a pen for CD labels. It's not so permanent, since you can erase it with cotton and a bit of alcohol (don't let it reach any electronic circuit, though). It's just a way to allow the thief to ask for a rescue;

- I set up a firmware password;

- I bought an Undercover anti-theft license while I keep a Guest account so the thief can play with my Mac;

- I don't encrypt my system because the Guest account becomes almost unusable, so the thief will go for a disassemble or some easier procedure to conver my Mac into money. It's better if he thinks it's a usable machine. Sensitive information can be encrypted into a sparsebundle -- this is not government safe, but, who cares? I'm not involved on any criminal organization, so the solution is reasonably safe.

- Lastly, I have Find My Mac enabled.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I think the idea of a guest account is good. It keeps the MAC alive and a chance to find it again.

In my business, I have recovered lost phones. They are password protected so I can not figure out who to call. I just shake my head how people do not figure out where they may have lost their phone.

6. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I actually put my phone number and name on my lock screen wallpaper.

These are all great suggestions I'll take into consideration.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you need a lock. The mbp use to have kensington lock slots. The rmbp have other alternatives that have a similar concept.

8. Dekema2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I got a speck case so for now I'm spent out

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Turn on Find my Mac and also enable Filevault encryption then put "Please call XXX if found" on the lock screen is what I do.

Filevault encrypts your data and also creates a Safari only guest account that hopefully the their will use to connect and at the same time allow Find my Mac to do its thing.

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Get theft insurance as well, it should be relatively inexpensive.

11. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

-I have Find my Mac enabled - I wish they included GPS/GLONASS but it's better than nothing I guess.

-Firmware password.

-Contact details on Lockscreen - just incase the person who comes across it has a sense of decency and wishes to try and return it.

I don't encrypt my drive as there's nothing really that sensitive on it. I just have a good habit of never leaving it alone if I'm away from home. Same goes for my iPhone, I either have it in my right hand pocket or in it's charging dock next to my bed, you'd be amazed how much a strong habit can help you from losing stuff. The second I don't have my phone in my pocket or my watch on I instantly feel it, so far I've yet to lose or break anything :cool:.

12. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who got his computer back with Prey. He got it stolen at a school event, the person just kept using the computer. He eventually got a pretty good idea of the location and eventually a clear picture of the person's face, turned out he knew him and eventually confronted him.

I guess there are two ways to see this. Either you can put software to help you get the computer back (still unlikely). Or you can try to make sure your personal data isn't compromised if someone does get their hands on the computer.

I don't think engraving would stop anyone. They would likely find the engraving after they steal the computer and probably wouldn't return the computer they just stole you because of it.

Just be careful with your computer, take it with you to the washroom if you don't know anyone where you're working. When in University, I would get a stranger once a week to ask me to keep an eye on their stuff while they would leave for a few minutes... Keep a loop of your bag around you if you're taking a nap.