Find my Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jonasdamn, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Hello, i would like to ask about find my Mac feature. On iOS7 Apple has improved a lot "find my iPhone". But what about macs and mavericks? If someone steals mac is it possible to block mac from using it?

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Not as far as I know - because unlike an iPhone - on a MacBook, someone could just remove the HDD and load up their own copy of OSX on a new drive.

Unless Apple have a way to lock the machine before it accesses the HDD - then, it would be possible.

3. Judith123 macrumors member

If I set up the password for my Mac, can someone steal my HDD? I think it is the same theory with Iphone. :)

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

What I am saying is you could disable the phone completely that it can never be used again (With iOS7) - right?

On the MacBook if the OS "Locked" the HDD so I couldn't login toy our MacBook - nothing stops me just ripping the HDD out and installing a new one and reloading the OS - thus able to use the MacBook.

However, if there was a lock at the BIOS level (Not that Apple machines have a traditional "BIOS" so to speak) - then even a new HDD in the machine won't work as I would still need the password on the very first screen when turing the laptop on.

This password could be stored in a chip on the logic board - so the only way to get passed it would be to buy a new logic board and that can cost thousands of dollars.

That's where I was going with my original post.

5. meme1255 macrumors 6502

Lock using FMM is done using EFI password, AFAIK :confused: :eek: - So if you lock your Mac using FMM, even if you change HDD you can't do anything. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

6. cbs20 macrumors member

You can do this. It's called the firmware password. It doesn't allow your computer to boot to anything besides the set startup disk unless you enter the firmware password. To set a firmware password you need to boot to recovery and access disk utility then go to the menu.

7. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Ah I stand corrected. Thanks for the info! :cool:

8. jonasdamn thread starter macrumors 6502a

So for example if i have set firmware password and someone steals my MBA, it will be useless because they wont be able to use it and reformat/ reinstalling wont help? :) thanks

9. cbs20 macrumors member

Not completely useless unless you have taken other steps to protect your data. With the firmware password they won't be able to boot to any other startup disk besides the internal drive. Having a password on your user account prevents them from accessing your data and using the computer. Encrypting the drive prevents them from removing the internal storage and connecting it to another computer to boot to or access your data.

10. Judith123 macrumors member

Thanks, I got it. :)

11. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

this is incorrect, the firmware level or EFI level password can be bypassed by someone that knows how to do it. for around $80 or less on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...=macbook+firmware+password&_sacat=0&_from=R40