Find my Phone Ap--no sound detected

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chefalie11, Nov 9, 2014.

1. chefalie11 macrumors newbie

So, last night I visited Walmart (yes, this was my first mistake) and I left my iPhone 5s at the checkout. My friends and I turned around as soon as we realized it was left behind and no one had turned it in (of course).

I logged in on a friends phone to Find My iPhone and it pinged right in the store still! (YAY!) So we played the sound, and thought we heard it chirp a couple times and then it stopped. We wandered the store and even involved the cops (we thought a couple sketchy looking Walmart Associates had it, because they were sitting right where we thought we heard the sound coming from).

Has this ever happened? I know if it is on silent, it SHOULD still play a sound. The phone had about 20% battery at this time.

The Find My Phone ap is still pinging it at Walmart ( its been about 7 hours) but it is saying the phone has 0 battery. BUT if it was at 0 battery--why would the ping still update as being at Walmart with a green circle?

Words of wisdom, other than wandering Walmart more?

2. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

If I where to guess, I'd say that the battery died at Walmart, and whoever took hasn't turned it on.. Or maybe opened it and removed battery. The odd thing about find my iPhone is sometimes the location is off. Last night we couldn't find my hubby's phone and find my iPhone showed it on a street a mile away. We had bought groceries an hour before and used this road. 4 mins later we found it under the couch, yet for the next 15 or 20 mins showed it in the road a mile away. I know there is somewhat of a delay, but 20 mins. Was quite a long while. Are you sure it couldn't have fallen behind the counter at Walmart .. In a gap maybe? Keep us updated, hope it turns up. It couldn't hurt to go back to Walmart and check the register you were at..

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Person who found it turned the phone off when it chirped.

All done.

The tools is aimed more for finding the phone before it gets into a thief's hands (or is in a non-thief's hands).

See the marketing on Apple's site. https://www.apple.com/icloud/find-my-iphone.html

They don't pitch it as finding the phone when it the thief's hands... Probably because of liability concerns when someone gets their azz kicked or gets shot. It's more about finding it when you've misplaced it around the house, or someone's turned it in, or as a last resort protecting your data and making the phone unusable for anyone but the owner.

4. tritron macrumors regular

Why you did not talk to store manager and store security. They have cameras around store. I bet they are pointed at check stand to catch employees stilling.
    The video should show who took your phone